About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 6 August 2023

Not a fan of Filance lock landing.

 Aug 6th

First lock of the day was just around the corner. Very narrow on the approach and with the overhang of branches and moored boats, fingers were kept crossed that I could get on the landing before another boat exited. Needn't have worried, it was still too early for most boaters to set off.

 

While waiting for the lock to empty I was approached by a very nice chap asking the usual questions that all boaters have to deal with and not wanting it to be all about FS, I did ask him about the t shirt he was wearing,  'Run 60 miles in August'. It was to raise awareness of motor neurone disease and as one of the marshals his task was to jolly them along and keep them on track. The only thing I could find about this was on FB site but only members of the group could see the posts. 


That's him standing to the right.
 

At Filance lock I really struggled to get FS near the bank. I was hoping to hold out but a boat appeared through the bridge ole which meant I had to get off. Not a bollard to be found, the towpath was high at this point, it had chunks of bank missing and I wondered how I would get back on. More worryingly, once the paddles were lifted, the force of water coming from the lock would send FS careering backwards and me with it. Ian signalled to say a boat was descending. I sounded the 'poor excuse' of our horn to alert him to my plight. He rushed down thinking something was wrong but was relieved to hear I only wanted the crew of the descending boat to open the bottom gate paddles slowly. They were only too happy to comply, there was no sudden surges and FS didn't attempt to break away. Of course, I still had the problem of getting on, the gap and high bank had me chickening out, Ian had to come to my rescue.



It was about a mile to get to Otherton lock and the first of the runners were seen trying to get past the foliage that had encroached on the towpath, Both of us gave him a massive cheer, it was pouring down at the time, not the easiest conditions to run in. What a great thing they are doing for the charity. Only this morning a BBC news item on Welsh footballer Jason Bowen who is living with the disease talked about the trials he is going through.




Toffee surprised us today. Finally she had the confidence to walk over the gate foot boards. She is becoming a proper boaters dog. Maybe we won't tell our son where we are when the time comes to give her back, I think she should stay with us!.



 

We stopped at Gailey as the rain had set in again. Dire Straits was moored below the lock. Tomorrow we say goodbye to Jim and Jenn as the morning football will keep them glued to the telly. We will probably try to get to Aldersley Junction. A lot depends on what time we leave and the weather.



No comments:

Blog Archive