About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday, 16 November 2015

Sun Dance move day 4 and Ian goes fishing!

I reckon November will break all records as the windiest month so far this year! I'm sure last night  winds got even stronger. We certainly rocked and rolled and the hull bouncing against the pilling nearly drove us mad! Ian even had thoughts on using the life ring as a fender!!

Ian was up with the lark this morning (lack of sleep again) and suggested that he get us going and I could stay in bed. Well.... I wasnt going to say no to that, now was I but that all changed when I happened to glance out of the window and see such a red sky that it had to be photographed. Quickly got dressed and so glad I did 'cause I got some spectacular early morning photos.

Sun up and a blinding glare.
 Took around 3.5 hours to reach the top of Napton flight, Marston Doles and what a lovely day it turned out to be, a very pleasant morning for a change. Even though we had a boat traveling towards us and we thought we were in luck with the locks, every one was set against. One can only assume that boat must have set off from the top. Still we didn't do to bad time wise, even though we had a low pound between 16 and 15. (It was low back in June as well)

Thankful to get in the lock.

 At the bottom lock Ian dashed off for a pint of milk at the shop while I lifted one bottom paddle, to give him time to get back you understand.. No other boats around so didn't hold anyone up. It was not long after leaving the lock and, after the sharp left hand bend, we came across a boat winding.  We crept up to it fully expecting to stop but instead he beckoned us past. We could immediately see that there was a problem as two of his crew were bankside and one had his arm deep in the water rummaging for something. Having a word with the boater it turns out he had lost his glasses over the side and moved the boat away so his mates could have a go at finding them.  Ian then suggested trying our sea magnet. Long shot I know but stranger things have happened. So this is where Ian went fishing. Did he get the glasses???? Unfortunately not and the men were left decidedly moist and undecided as to what to do next. With no more to be done we went on our way.

 Took roughly 40 minutes until we did a left at Wigrams Turn and onto the GU.  Now back to the wide locks and the first set was Calcutt locks. Got these out of the way thankfully 'cause it's always blowing a holey on these locks and going in sidewise grab fashion was the order of the day. Ian had to push the bow away from the side at every landing.

Now moored at the top of Stockton locks, 8 to do tomorrow and I do so hope the wind is a bit kinder to me, especially on Wednesday. Then we tackle the 21 locks of the Hatton flight. Not looking forward to that, I can tell you.

Oh nearly forgot. Ian made a cracking fender from the end of the mooring rope. Thought the life ring a bit OTT. So much nicer and quieter now.

17.4 miles 12 locks 7hours 25 minutes.

And on route,

1 comment:

Adam said...

You've got a lot more than 8 locks to do before you get to Hatton! IIRC, there's 20 downhill locks to Leamington Spa, then the two Cape locks up hill.

Blog Archive