We must say a big thankyou to all who have given us tips and advice on charging the laptops when moving Sun Dance on 13th. Looking at all the good ideas we now find we don't need to use any of them after all. We had a bit of a brainwave yesterday when we remembered that in the Anglo Welsh brochure, Merlin also has a 'no' next to 240v. Of course Merlin has a socket as the TV plugs into a 240v supply. With this in mind, we gave Anglo Welsh at Oxford a call. Sure enough Sun Dance does have a socket but not one advertised as too many hirers have blown the inverter trying to charge laptops without running the engine. With words of 'you will only use the socket when traveling' ringing in my ears and my assurance that we would, he said he would show us where the socket was on our arrival . So goody, seems I will be able to continue with the blog while away after all.
While I was on the phone to Ollie (manager at the Oxford base), I mentioned the stoppage at Roundham lock. He was unaware there was a problem until I mentioned that Ian had looked at the stoppage list and found out the lock at Kidlington was due to reopen on the 13th. (stoppage started 2nd November). After Ian had given C&RT a ring to see what time we could get through, we were told that they didn't envisage opening the lock before 4.30pm. I immediately got back to Ollie to say our estimated date of arrival at Tardebigge (18th/19th) would not now happen as we would effectively loose a day and how urgent was it to get the boat back in 6 days. No problem at all it seems, as it was never an urgent move after all!!!! So it will more likely to be Saturday 21st when we arrive which will give us a good 8 days to do the move. It all depends on how quick we can get through the 104 locks and how many leaves foul the prop!
On my walk this morning (dodging the rain showers)
- Ian and Irene Jameison
- In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.
- ► 2016 (235)
- Finishing ahead of schedule.
- Are we a Chinese laundry now??? and meeting with g...
- Sun Dance hand over, day 9
- Move day 8 and for goodness sake not another tree ...
- Move day 7 and crikey was my eyes deceiving me
- 6th day of the move and our worse fears realised!!...
- Sun Dance day 5 Lots of locks and another blustery...
- Sun Dance move day 4 and Ian goes fishing!
- Sun Dance move day 3 and ain't that wind a bu++er!...
- Sun Dance day 2 and surely it wasn't operator erro...
- Moving Sun Dance day 1 and another mishap by Yarnt...
- More on Barkers lock (spot the mistake) and the me...
- The inevitable shopping trolley and bikes at botto...
- Slight change of plan
- Of all the dates to chose it had to be Friday 13th...
- Funny, challenging and memorable
- Merlin move final day.....and cruising almost blin...
- ▼ November (17)
- ► 2014 (301)
- ► 2013 (384)
- ► 2012 (354)
- ► 2011 (250)
- ► 2010 (293)