About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday, 29 September 2015

Sods Law

Sunset over Newlands park

We needed water desperately and the nearest place was by Peartree Marina and to the slowest tap on the system! Winding, I left Ian to take the car 'cause we wanted to stop at Peartree for a few days and traveled the 1 1/4 miles back.  Had a slight holdup at bridge 87 where emergency repairs were being undertaken. A large crack had appeared along the brickwork as well as the path on the top deeming it dangerous for boaters as well as pedestrians.

This Wyvern boat had a panic moment and nearly didn't stop in time.

Anyway, on arrival at Peartree a wide beam was just leaving so, taking their vacated spot, we started the fill. Time 11.20am. By 12.15pm our gauge showed only 1/4 full. Lunch was had and we even managed to watch all of Bargain Hunt. Still only 3/4 full. News was seen and finally by 1.35pm our tank overflowed. Now all we needed to do was wind at the Marina entrance and moor at a lovely sunny spot away from those crab apple trees opposite the facilities. We had just about completed the turn when a boat appeared and took our spot!!! Talk about sods law!!! So we made the decision to go to Campbell park sooner rather then later. Dropped Ian at the bridge 'ole so he could once again take the car back, got to bridge 87  and was met by a contractor telling me I couldn't go through and had to wait for at least 30 minutes before they would clear their pontoon. Tried to get into the side to wait and got stuck on the mud! Must have been a good couple of feet away from the bank but FS had to be secured so leapt off with rope and cladding pin to wait. Managing ,just, to get back on I tried phoning Ian to let him know why I hadn't arrived. Another sods law. No phone signal!!! I could imagine him thinking I had sunk the boat and sure enough, after 20 minutes wait and then having to be helped off the mud by the contractors, I spied him walking rather rapidly towards me as I got through the bridge. 

30 minute wait this time.

 I did like this window ornament. I would have be a bit worried that an offside branch would claim it.

At the park we had the pick of the moorings so finding a spot away from overhanging trees, we moored and I went Sloe hunting to continue making more Sloe Gin for Christmas.

Think this will do now for the next week or two, especially as Ian is off to the MK Arena on Thursday, to watch one of the Rugby World Cup matches. I think it's Canada V France but not being a Rugby fan am not really that interested.

Campbell Park Towpath moorings 14 day

No comments:

Blog Archive