About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday, 23 August 2015

Tidal Thames and towing duties.

Just drifting off into a deep sleep when suddenly the Thames River Police, with sirens a blazing, went racing to an incident upstream, causing such a wash as to make FS rock and roll and bang against the side. And what with the trip boats coming and going up to midnight, well sleep was almost impossible until the wee hours.

Did drift off because the alarm went off at 7am and by 7.30am Tentatrice and Cleddau had set off for the lock. Thought it a tad early as we had been told 8am but they obviously thought it the right time to go and they were correct. Two large cruisers also passed us and by the time we got to the lock at 7.45am there was no room for FS and we had to wait for the next locking.

Tentatrice goes in.

Monty keeping a lookout. Woofatch our boat Uncle Ken!

Then it was our turn.

And we're off

Richmond bridge.

Richmond lock

Hotel boat turning at Brentford

Bit confusing as to which entrance.

We took the right hand lock
 Funny really. We were first out at Teddington and first infront of the other narrowboats, but because NB Mabel wasnt displaying a licence and couldnt produce one, the lock keeper made them and us wait. This meant we were now last but one to leave. Word of warning. No displayed licence, no passage allowed until £26 for a days C&RT licence is bought! This is excactly what those on Mabel had to do .

Other two boats now on their way while we had to wait.

Finally the lock keeper let us go but not until one of the crew from Mabel had insurance proof and cash in hand!

We stopped by the facilities and found Sue and Ken and Chris and Jennie already moored.

Brief chat and farewell but no doubt will meet later in the month. After all Milton Keynes is all of our destinations.
 Hadn't got very far when we noticed a boat on the far side. A chap was signalling to us to come past. Thinking they were reversing back to a mooring space we obliged. Not so though. What they wanted was a tow as they were not only stuck in reverse, but also in the silt.

Ian and Diane grateful for a tow.

It was once we had them back to the towpath that they told us the cable from the gearbox had been replace by RCR only a few months ago. To have it go again was unacceptable and a rude phone call to RCR was forthcoming. Cant say I blame them but how lucky he wasn't still on the river!

With all the delays we never made it to Hanwell and the Fox pub. Two locks out of the way when the rain started in earnest. Got ourselves moored and settled down to an afternoon of athletics. Well done Jessica Ennis for getting the Heptathlon gold. Will see what the weather throws at us tomorrow before we make a decision whether to move or not.

And on route

Two fisherman together

1 comment:

Jennie said...

We just love that picture of Monty supervising 'Uncle Ken'!! I am sure we will see you again soon - probably tomorrow whilst you stay warm and dry and we are all kitted out for all weathers!! Jennie and Chris

Blog Archive