About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 1 April 2013

Back into the light.

Its lovely being back in the light. The boat always felt very dark in the dock, bit claustrophobic. Now at least we can light our stove. The 1 kilowatt fan heater didn't do much in the way of warming us, especially as the temperature gauge didn't get above 5 degrees. Before filling the dock Ian had to go off for his blood test and having slept in later then normal ( still haven't adjusted to the clocks going forward ) he didn't leave here until gone 9am. I got a text from him to say 9 chemo patients, all waiting for their blood test, were in front of him so I didn't hold out much hope of seeing him before 11ish. While waiting for his return, I got on with replacing roof furniture, ropes and generally tidying the dock. The stern and fore fenders still needed to be put back but no way was I going to attempt that!!  Ian likes them tensioned correctly and to sit square on so woo betide me if I got it wrong. Its easier to leave it up to him. Ian returned quicker then I thought, well before 11am., so once the fenders were in place we lifted the paddle and started filling.


Margaret holding Jandai. Jandai needed pulling back to allow us both out.

I was really excited about how the boat would handle with the new prop. Ian reversed her out and even in the short distance said how she felt more responsive. We pulled over to the towpath while Dave on Bracken reversed out, and then Dennis on Icing siddled past us both to enter the dock, Ian left me with the boat while he helped Dennis to position Icing ready for lifting the paddles. I then moved off from the towpath to breast up with Jandai and I must agree with Ian, the boat felt good and did what I asked. I cant wait until next Monday when we take a jaunt up to Sawley and give her a good run on the river. As a treat tonight Dave, Heather, Dennis, Margaret, Ian, me and Jade are all off to the pub later to celebrate another year of blacking all done and dusted. Mind you Dennis is just beginning but with all of us helping tomorrow should get it done in record time.


Dave power washing Icing.
 Thought I would add this photo. Yet another Heron with its head chopped off. My last heron in flight also ended up headless.


No comments:

Blog Archive