About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 20 July 2017

New crew member ( Shhh... dont mention how slow he is)

Not a bad sunset last night, far cry from the stormy night before!



So this morning, Shepperton lock and we arrived dead on 9.am. No lock keeper...where was he (or she), they should be on duty by now but just the self-service sign displayed. Oh, blast, now what do we do. Need a Thames licence to continue on this lovely river and Shepperton lock is the first after leaving Weybridge moorings. Nothing for it but do it ourselves and hope he turns up. 9.25 am and still no sign. So we waited above the lock, got rid of rubbish and emptied the loo and he finally appears a few minutes later. After parting company with £122 and a fortnight to cruise the river, it was head off for Runnymede.

Shepperton lock and self-service.


Apart from Penton Hook lock, none of the others was manned. I remember all the locks having a lock keeper years ago. Sign of the times perhaps? So... Penton Hook Lock... This is the lock where I broke my wrist and was amazed that I'm still remembered by the lock keepers (although my name is no longer in the accident book. A new one was started in 2011 a year after my accident). To see what happened to me back in 2010 click here.



We finally made it to Egham (Runnymede) having had an hour stop at Staines first. A Sainsburys was within walking distance, not a store I normally shop at as I feel the food is overpriced  (give me Lidl of Aldi anytime) but when needs must...

The mooring here is lovely and also free which is a bonus but the downside is Heathrow. We are almost within a stone throw from the end of the runway (about 4km as the crow flies) and plane after plane continuously takes off. But......the fishing here is amazing. Plenty of Chubb and Perch to keep me happy, it's a wonder I have found time to write this!







 Oh and our new crew member???




Seen on route,

Some unique properties on the Thames.

And weird and wonderful garden ornaments.

No, they are not real!

This must have happened in the storms

 And wildlife,








4 comments:

Mike Todd said...

This weekend is predicted to be the very busiest for Heathrow!

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

I am wondering how useful your new crew member is without fingers, let alone opposable thumbs, Irene!
M&D xxoo

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hello Mike, So I understand. Glad to have moved on.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Yes, I thought he was shirking. Bit of a slimy character don't you think!

Blog Archive