About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 9 April 2019

Wow a couple of days later and we would have been stuck!.

 It was strange, not a single boat had passed us apart from a plastic cruiser heading toward Alrewas. This was a topic of conversation during our lunchtime meal at the Bridge Inn. And very nice it was too although both of us felt utterly stuffed and uncomfortably full at the end of it. Calzone for Ian, Lasagna for me and a huge cheesy garlic pizza to share. Think our eyes were bigger than our stomachs but oh it was all so very delicious.  We were going to head off for Willington after the meal but we felt a snooze was more on the cards, less energetic. During the walk back to FS another observation noted. No other boat had arrived to take up the moorings. Then at about 4.30pm, an email appeared in Ian's inbox. C&RT had issued a stoppage at Common Lock near Fradley

The top end gate has come out of it's cup, it will need a gantry to reposition.
We will provide an update by lunch time tomorrow.

Phew, thank goodness we had come through when we did. The last thing we need is a hold up in getting back to Langley Mill. Anyway, this cleared up the mystery. I expect a boat had either hit the gate hard or lifted it by getting the bow fender stuck under it on the way up.

 I did take myself off for a walk later, felt it was the right thing to do after all that food. As for tea tonight, I don't think either of us will bother. So all I've got to show of today is Branston Water Park and the wildlife seen within.



Female Yellow Tip Butterfly

Female and below is the male Orange Tip


Speckled Wood



Grebe

Greylag Geese



Long-tailed Tit

Song Thrush

Shell Duck

Oyster Catchers

Newt





6 comments:

stevefree said...

Sorry to say the pink footed geese are Greylags. Any pink feet are probably back in Iceland or Greenland by now.
Just starting to see the return of the swallows.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks Steve. Looked on the web and they seemed to fit the bill. I have amended my mistake. Xx

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

A propos your previous reply to my previous comment: I was ONLY drunk because I got locked in and FORCED (FORCED, I say) to consume more chardonnay. David and Julia did come looking for me, but the doors were closed and they left - leaving me to be walked home by Nigel and Lyndon making sure I didn't weave my way into the cut - and I would have for sure, even though the towpath there is extremely wide ...

So, knowing your propensity, in particular, Irene, to overindulge, please watch out for the doors being closed and not being able to leave, OK?

Mxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

OK, Marilyn!!! Although the chances of me being as inebriated as that ARE pretty slim (believe that and you'll believe anything!)Anyway I will send them your love and warn Dave that you may be returning at some point to cause more havoc and mayhem and to make sure Nigel and Lyndon are nearby to hold you up when you stagger back to Waka Huia. Good plan eh?(: Xxxx

Paul Clark said...

Hi Irene

You butterflies are Orange, not Yellow Tips, but you know that because I'm sure you've illustrated them before. More interesting is the newt. This could be a Palmate, rather than the commoner Smooth newt, though I think it's impossible to be certain from above, as you need to examine the undersides to be sure. Was the water near where you saw it likely to be acidic, heathland habitat for example?

Paul

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hello Paul, I did mean Orange tip but sometimes you put things down without reading it back. The newt was at a very small overgrown pond and near to the edge away from the main lake area. I had walked in amongst the trees and found it in a clearing filled with cut branches. Maybe it had been disturbed because I would have thought that at this time of year they would be tucked up under logs etc.

Blog Archive