About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 18 February 2018

It's only mud!

Wow, what a spectacular sunset last night over the Goyt Valley and this morning the sunrise gave a golden glow to trees behind the reservoir.






Shame the sun didn't stay for long, the mist came down and we did wonder about going back to Lyme. But no rain was forecast for today so we decided we may as well go anyway. As we were about to leave a visitor came a calling in the form of a Pheasant which didn't seem the slightest bit worried about us being so close.


We were the first motorhome in the coned off area this time and again very surprised at how full the car park was and it had only just gone 10am.  One of the Parks features is the Red Deer. We donned walking shoes and went in search. Must have walked well over a mile before realising that the path we had taken was full of dog walkers and horse riders. With lots of dogs running loose it stood to reason that the Deer would have made for cover. So we veered off the main path and headed back toward Lyme house.






By now I was feeling quite disappointed and gave up any hope of finding them. Instead, we made for The Cage, a Gothic style hunting tower built in the 18th century.


Having climbed a steep hill to reach the building, looking over to admire the view and what should we see lying in the grass in the distance? Red Deer!!




 From the moment of spying my quarry I was on a mission...get as close to them as I could. Not an easy task as the ground was more bog than dry grass and twice I missed my footing and ended up on my knees. Ian as sure-footed as he is looked on in bemusement but I was determined to get to those Deer and I wasn't going to let a bit of muddy water stop me. So finally, very muddy and with wet socks...(you may remember my waterproof boots were not waterproof) I managed to get within 10 feet. Sorry folks but loads of piccies



I loved this.







5 comments:

Graham said...

Antlers emerging from the grass -brilliant! You always have great pictures which I always enjoy but these, even by your standards, are absolutely brilliant.
Now you need to come to Scotland photograph much bigger herds!

Jennie said...

Absolutely fantastic photos, Irene - worth wet and muddy feet.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thank you, Graham. Scotland is on our to-do wish list and I have heard the wildlife is spectacular. It won't be this year though, as Ireland is first and that will be in late June.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thank You, Jennie. I would willingly have crawled through the stuff as well to get so close to them.

Jenny said...

Wonderful photos - says a lot for your determination and patience!

Blog Archive