About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 22 October 2017

Boaters Grapevine.

Gosh, news travels fast! We were told by two people at Sutton stop which way that cruiser had gone. Doing a blog does have its benefits.

So to begin, first we left after breakfast and followed the diesel and coal boat 'Auriga' through All Oaks Wood. The wind was still blowing and them leaves were still coming down and very glad to get to the other side. Here we met Auriga servicing the moored boats. Ian asked the price of diesel as we crept past only to be told he had none on board at the moment "But when I do it will be 74p litre." he stated.






 Ian was below making a loaf (in the bread maker I might add just in case you think he is a master baker!) when I arrived at Rose hire boats in Stretton. That swing bridge needed opening so I took great delight in pressing our 'crew alert' button. It's situated by the head light and horn buttons and many a time I got it wrong!  Not today though and he came a running to see what was happening. Not best pleased to find it was only the swing bridge that needed opening.

Moored a fair way out, me thinks, and right by the bridge!.



 That wind had a bite to it and I started to feel quite chilled but I soon perked up when, coming up to Anstey, I saw a familiar looking boat ahead. Yep, it was that cruiser and just setting off from under the M6 bridge. Ah ha, thought I, now we will see which way he goes at Hawkesbury Junction. But no chance. He took off like a bat out of hell passing moored boats like a demonic maniac. We had no chance of keeping up and despaired at finding out which way he turned.



 But as I said earlier, the boaters grapevine is a wonderful thing. We stopped before the lock and I walked around to the Coventry Canal to see if the visitor moorings were free. In the lock was a boat and I happened to ask if they had seen that cruiser. "Yes" was his reply. "Turned left heading toward Coventry and watched him weaving from side to side across the canal. He was either having difficulty in the wind or he couldn't steer it". Hmmm...wonder which one it was? Anyway, great news as that section leads to a dead end. Then as I brought FS through the lock and turned right at the junction, a lady came up to Ian, said she had read the blog and also saw which way the cruiser went. Again I didn't get her name but the boat name was Bessie Surtees. Thank you to both of those boaters and that information has been phoned through to Steve and Lesley on 'Together Forever'. Oh and one other thing. There is a page on C&RT website where one can check to see if boats are licensed. Good news for Steve and Lesley. It is and therefore, in the C&RT agreement, must be insured. Good luck to you both and I hope you get a good result.

And the wildlife today, another water vole on the Oxford canal. Excuse the photos, not brilliant I know!







4 comments:

Barbara said...

I also hope they get a good result thank goodness you had photographic evidence. Just to make you aware I was talking to the owners on nb Beltane Spirit this morning he said he had his ladder and cassette hose taken from his roof last night and several other boats had also had things taken he had been moored by the road on the left towards Coventry but decided to move.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks Barbara, I will put your comment on the blog post tonight to warn others.

Jenny said...

Hi, we're just catching up with your fabulous blog.

We passed each other on this blustery, rainy day. You were approaching Ansty and we had just left. My brain must have been 'frozen' as we passed because the penny didn't actually drop until you'd passed. You were busy inspecting the huge orange buoy that was warning of something submerged. Our dog barked at your boat as we passed, and Ian shouted 'Hello Dog' to him. Managed in the end to gather my wits and snap a pic of Free Spirit as she sailed away http://livingonthecut.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/23-1.jpg

I can't believe how far you travel. You're an inspiration :)

Hope to catch you somewhere, sometime on the network.

Best Jennifer (and John)

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hello Jennifer and thank you for your lovely comment. Love the photo of us sailing off in the distance. I was inspecting that buoy because last time we passed a water vole was sat near to it. Hoped to see it again but no luck this time. Anyway, lets hope our paths do cross at some point in the future. I do so love to have a chinwag. Take care and enjoy the rest of this cruising season. Xx

Blog Archive