About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough. From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday, 25 February 2023

Another road closure and more slippages.

 February 24th

This morning Ian felt much better. In fact apart from the runny nose and cough, you wouldn't know anything was wrong with him. With no internet at the DOC site, it was a drive back towards Blenheim so we could at least get a phone signal for the waiting text message from the health centre. This duly arrived as soon as we were in range of the Sparks WiFi with the advice to go to the nearest pharmacy to discuss which anti-viral drug he was to have. A Countdown with a pharmacy was found at Renwick. Good oh, kill two birds with one stone. First was to see the pharmacist and explain Ian symptoms and the best way to deal with it. Ian was eligible for the drug but she had to find out which one. There are two apparently, and with the reassurance we would get a phone call later in the day, I left Ian and went to do a shop for tonight's dinner.

We drove to Blenheim to find a Jaycar electrical store. That charger bought for my laptop end of January had packed up! Armed with the charger, laptop and receipt I was prepared for battle. But the very nice man took the charger away to test and confirmed it was dead! An exchange would be granted, he went off to find one and came back with the news the last one had been sold yesterday! So it looks like I will be sharing the small inverter with Ian, hmm... so elbows at the ready, who will get to charge their laptop first!

As it was nearly lunchtime we pulled in at Pollard Park Waterlea Gardens. Oh wow, now this is one park much loved by the people of Blenheim. So well looked after and local volunteers were doing a spot of weeding. What a great place to relax with a sandwich. The colours fabulous, a feast for one's eyes.

 After lunch, we got the call from the pharmacist. The drug Ian was going to be given was a cheaper version of the NZ anti-viral drug. KiWi's, understandably, get the real deal.  Anyway Ian had done a bit of research into the anti-viral drugs, it was to be given to those vulnerable and most likely to end up in hospital. Also the side effects appeared worse than the Covid symptoms, so after mentioning his concerns to the pharmacist, very politely declined the offer. She fully understood and accepted the reason. So off to do a road that looked interesting. The road led off between Havelock and Picton taking one to Portage and then onto dirt road leading all the way up to Titirangi. This was to be new territory for us and one I was looking forward to. At Linkwater we took the left turn only to be confronted with this,


Hmm, seems it's not our lucky day today! Onwards to Picton. My goodness this road has seen some damage. Some appeared new, others obviously been like it for a while and one section already being repaired. Was it to do with the Cyclone Gabrielle or the earthquake felt in Wellington. After all the North Island isn't that far away.  



 Several places to stop at and see the stunning views of Queen Charlotte Sound and on the approach to Picton a ship was being loaded with logs.








 As time was rapidly approaching 4 pm we decided to go back to Whatamango, the camp ground we pulled into when we arrived two months ago. The road leading to it also had had slippage, it wasn't like that back in December. I'm still wondering if maybe it was the earthquake that caused it and not the Cyclone after all.


Whatamango camp ground. A DOC site.

Tomorrow we sail back to Wellington. The forecast is for 4/5 meter swells. That will make the crossing interesting!

And more wonderful post boxes,





Friday, 24 February 2023

Best laid plans.....

 Bugger! Sorry about swearing but how else can we describe how we felt when Ian woke this morning feeling under the weather. A Covid test done and immediately two lines appeared! How will this effect our plans? Not a hundred percent sure. Time will tell.

This morning we also had an email from the Interislander team. And good news we are still sailing on the 25th. The bad news is the times have changed from an afternoon to an evening which will mean a very late docking and even more important, no campsite to go to in Wellington. Marilyn (bless her) has given a few places which may still be able to take us at the late arrival hour.  But that's the least of our worries now that Ian has the dreaded Covid. Will I be unlucky and get it for the second time in 5 months? Hopefully I have enough antibodies doing their job to keep it at bay. More worrying, will we even be able to travel on the ferry? 

I was going to have a go at driving, so far Ian's has been behind the wheel and that is exactly where I want him to be. With him not feeling 100 percent I did offer but he assured me he felt fine, I didn't pursue the matter!
So we left that DOC site with the wind still blowing a hooley and the rain coming down intermittently. The ground was ever so wet with lots of mud and try as we might, still got some on the carpet. Stupidly one of the mats had been left outside, this was not only covered in mud but dripping wet. I hung it on a bush to dry, well that was never going to work in these damp conditions. It will be sorted later!




Arrived in Blenheim after a good hour's drive, the scenery reminded Ian of the Teletubbies! Hmm, I didn't know he watched kids TV although thinking about it, he has always said there is nothing but dross on the telly! Maybe the Teletubbies are more riveting.  


Anyhow I'm beginning to wonder if he can also tell me all their names? With him now infectious and me still clear (I also tested this morning) armed with mask I did the shopping. It was also down to me to enquire at the i site about a DOC camp ground nearby. Normally this can be done online and I did mention on a previous post that in the future this will be the way to go, but it seems that Onamalutu campsite can not be booked online. To pay the fee...yes, but to reserve a place...no The only 4 power points are on a first come, first served basis, a bit worrying when one is reliant on solar and no sun to be had today. The lady behind the desk assured me that this was a very quiet camp ground, less popular being 30 km from Blenheim with nothing at all to do but sit in a big field. Anyway I returned with this information and Ian decided to go for it anyway.

But first...a shower to be had. A Kiwi Camp was slightly out of Blenheim at a truck stop. We could have stayed there for $30 a night but the thought of trucks coming and going at all hours, as well as the SH 1 right on the doorstep, put us off somewhat. But we could use the showers for $2.50, with 5 minutes of wonderfully hot water.

Oh dear, on arrival most noticeably was the wet field. Would the Toy be man enough to cope with boggy bits? First thing to do was find the power points, Typically it was toward the far side and those boggy bits would have to be driven through.



Oh, well. in for a penny...and then. Well done that van. Ian kept her in low gear (automatic) and allowed this to drive the Toy where we wanted her.

 Apart from a caravan parked on another of the powered sites, there are no others campers here. And most pleasantly surprised to discover the toilets were proper flushing ones, not a long drop in sight.
We await a call now from the Covid helpline. A nurse was spoken to yesterday and Ian has been placed in the system. This means that he will be entitled to have the anti-viral drug. Not sure of the cost but there is a reciprocal agreement with the UK for such cases over here.


Having a walk along the perimeter of the field I came across a a bee I have never seen before. It was almost white and black with a very elongated stripy abdomen. I haven't found out anything about this bee on the web but there again I only put in native NZ bees. It could be a foreigner for all I knew.



Sorry about the blurred photo. It was the only one that showed the length of its abdomen.

 

And plenty more bees/hover flies to see












Thursday, 23 February 2023

Possibly a change of ferry plans.

 February 22nd

Hmm, a comment left by Jenny Romany Rambler mentioned that a problem has arisen with the two ferry companies Interislander and Bluebridge.

Normally six ships ply the strait between Picton and Wellington. As it stands, Bluebridge and Interislander have just one operating passenger ship each. This alert came in today,

Interislander Disruption Update

Wednesday, 22 Febraury: Kaiarahi is departing Wellington at 4:30 pm this afternoon, final check in 3:30 pm. Kaiarahi will sail from Picton at 9:45 pm tonight, final check in time 8:45 pm. Aratere is sailing today although behind schedule and Kaitaki continues to be freight only.

We are booked on Interislander Kaitaki from Picton to Wellington on the 25th. Now Kaitaki has had problems going back a fortnight. To read about it click HERE

Since then more problems have arisen for both the ferry companies with some of the fleet out of action through breakdowns, resulting in cancelled bookings. Some passengers stuck in Wellington will have a months wait to rebook! click HERE 

We don't mind having to rebook the ferry, but we do worry if what cancelled passengers are saying is true. For us to wait a month is out of the question because (a) the Toy needs to be returned to the owner and (b) we have a plane to catch on the 20th March. All we can hope for is things will be resolved quickly. 

 Today the weather has turned not only cold, but very wet and windy. We travelled about 110 k to arrive at Kaikoura. 

Looking back to 2017 I found our travels along a road full of the devastation from the 2016 Kaikoura Earthquake. 

 

 

 

 This is today's coastline, amazing what can be achieved after all the havoc the earthquake caused.




And we were lucky to see this goods train slowly wind its way next to the road.





 Here we stopped for lunch and had another hunt to see if I could replace that lost earring. I have found out it is called Aquarius Paua Jewellery but have failed in my search again. Even the website doesn't appear to have any. I am destined then, to walk around with just the one earring!

 

Those that are regulars to this blog will know of our mission to find all four cardinal points of lighthouses on the South Island. We found two, and saw at a distance the third but as to the very Eastern lighthouse Cape Campbell, we failed completely. The only way to see it was an 8-hour return walk and then on a low tide. Well this is one lighthouse that is destined never to be seen!

We did follow a track toward Marfells Beach. At the very end was a DOC site. We decided then and there to stay. The rain was still lashing down and the wind was buffeting the Toy. We tried the to put the pop top up but decided very rapidly that it was not a good idea. Dinner was a nightmare to cook, having to crouch down and cook over the small camping stove. Windows stayed open letting the rain in but ventilation was a must. Never has a stir fry been completed in double quick time! Anyway we are heading off to Blenheim tomorrow and then toward Picton to await news on the ferry. The discussion has already been had about what to do if we are to stay on the South Island. A drive along Arthurs pass was mentioned in search of the allusive Kea.






 m


And how's that for a seed head. Acts just like tumbleweed rolling over the dunes.


 

Blog Archive