About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 6 February 2023

Rock pooling in the rain

 February 5th

The locals had been crying out for it, to them the rain starting in the early hours was most welcome. For us not so good but it was such a relief not to experience those high temperatures of the last few days. It made us wonder what we would do today. Yesterday we had planned exactly what today would bring. Go and walk to the rock pools and then chill on the beach with a possibility of another swim. Well the last part was definitely not going to happen. The pitch had to be vacated by 10 am, and even with the rain, I was determined to go to the rock pools. I have had some success with my Olympus Tough waterproof camera on previous occasions, but lots of different settings had to be tried. So waterproof coat put on as well as those swimming reef shoes, we found the perfect spot with loads of rock pools. 

 



It is always a worry when the camera first gets submerged. Have I closed all the clips properly, it would be ruined if I hadn't. But all was good and I must say I was more than pleased with the macro result.

I found this beautiful abalone shell (paua). Ian managed to record the event.

Rain came and went, but I was having too much fun to bother with that. Ian had to drag me away at lunch time, I reluctantly agreed to go.

On a wet day, where better to spend your time than in a tunnel! A drive back toward Owaka before finding the car park for the railway walk.

 

This from DOC website

Tunnel Hill was built as a part of the Catlins River Branch railway which formed a part of New Zealand’s national rail network. It was built mainly to provide access to timber for logging companies. The railway was built in sections between 1879 and 1915 with the majority closing in 1971, including the Tunnel Hill section.This historic reserve preserves a tunnel on the old Catlins River Railway. The line’s construction, using handmade local bricks, began at Balclutha in 1879. This tunnel section was completed in 1896 and the line reached Owaka a year later.


It was dark,we had a torch and you could just about see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not letting Ian hold the torch again after nearly being scared to death by him!

Spooky or what!

Used the flash

Although only taking about 30 minutes to complete, it all helped to pass a very wet afternoon. Back tonight at the DOC site in Papatowai and tomorrow morning finally we get to see the Cathedral Caves.

And at the rock pools




 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good frosty morning from over here!
The fish and rock pool pics are absolutely wonderful, did you keep the beautiful abalone shell?
The design of the tunnel reminded me of the shape of the horse tunnels around the canal sytem.
Cheers for all those, very enjoyable.
Ann Makemson xx


Ian and Irene Jameison said...

I have kept the shell but am unsure if I am allowed to take it across to Australia and then back to the UK. I do hope so because it will look great on the shelf back on FS. Xx

Blog Archive