About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 13 December 2018

A Boxing day treat.

Wednesday 12th December (Boxing Day)

First the photos of the 6 course Christmas dinner (although I forgot to take a photo of the tiny mackerel fillet for starters and the Strawberry coulis).

A tiny cup of Pea soup was the first of the 6 courses. The pepper MIll shows the size.

Christmas dinner was sufficient and delicious. (but no sprouts or Yorkshire Pud)!

Set custard with chocolate ice cream and jelly (Cubes) for dessert. Yes, that is a teaspoon.

Tiny Mince Pie with coffee.

The waiter decided to get in on the photo (on the tray was the Pea soup)

Had to get Ian's jumper in the photo. It reads- Stuff the Turkey I'm off to the pub!
Today's excursion was to Plymouth and most upset with the BBC weather as the overcast day forecasted, turned out to be wet and cold. A short break of about 40 minutes whilst at Plymouth Hoe with the hint of blue skies had us hoping the day would buck up but t'was not to be. I think Ian regretted not taking his coat, a thick cardi was his outer attire which, being made of wool, held the water instead of repelling it.  Anyway, the Eddystone Smeaton Lighthouse was open and a charge of £3.50 for concessions which we felt was most reasonable. Even had a guide thrown in, very informative, and all in all, a pleasant way to spend 30 minutes.

Smeaton Lighthouse


Two beds for the lightkeepers. They must have been tiny people!

Views from the top. Check out the bad weather coming in.




Plymouth Hoe with Drakes statue and the war memorial.
 Another surprise awaited us. Leaving Plymouth the coach driver took us to Buckfast Abbey. What a magnificent building and one we would like to explore further. A trip in the motorhome next year should see us back for a second visit.
Buckfast Abbey


By the time we left to get back to the hotel, it was dark and quite late so changing for dinner wasn't an option as tonight another excursion had been planned. A trip to Babbacombe Theatre to see a variety show called Christmas Cracker. Instead of a 6pm meal the earlier time of 5.45pm was necessary as the coach would be ready and waiting for 7.30pm. We managed five of the six courses but the coffee and petit fore had to be abandoned as time was marching on.

The show was a resounding success, I can't remember the last time I have laughed so much.Singers, dancers, magicians and comedians made the whole experience memorable and we have been assured that next years T&T at Thursford, Norfolk will also have a show during the 4 days. Needless to say we have booked for the trip already!

It's a free day tomorrow so we may well take the bus to Brixham. To be decided after the weather forecast has been listened to in the morning.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

With six courses it is probably just as well they were small! Sprouts is a bit of an omission I must admit. The dessert would not have suited me at all - I always hated jelly and ice cream in the same bowl when I was a child and set custard is just too much like the dreaded blancmange that always seemed to appear at birthday parties!!

I have been to the show at Thursford Irene and you will not be disappointed. It is amazing - you might miss the laughs as I don't recall any comedians, but the spectacle is something else again. I reckon you can get 2 - 3 narrow boats nose to tail along the width of the stage. I will look forward to your T&T posts next year. Enjoy your day off today, but wrap up warm.

Happy Christmas and all the very best for 2019 from Jennie, Chris and Monty xx

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

I seem to remember going to Buckfast Abbey back in 1990 with David, our kids and my aunt Daphne. If I remember correctly, someone famous did that sanctuary (?) thing of holding on to the church doors with a thesis or somesuch to prevent being taken away and imprisoned. Come on, Jennie Gash, explain all, please!
I could be wrong though, as Wikipedia, that font of all knowledge, doesn't mention it!
Big hugs, Marilyn

Jennie said...

Oh my goodness Marilyn, I am flattered that you think I know so much, but I am afraid to say that I have not got a clue! It is a part of the UK I am unfamiliar with. I know churches have been used for sanctuary, but I have no knowledge of holding church doors with a thesis. Sorry I cannot be of more help! Jennie x

Blog Archive