About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 7 November 2018

Oops, I should have looked first.

It's not often that a day goes by without something to report but today has been very quiet. I suppose the only mishap was when I started to fill a lock at Stoke Hammond totally unaware that a boat had gone into the bottom lock approach and the bow fender was hard onto the gate. Only realised after I walked over the top gate to lift the other two paddles. Suddenly spied the chap as he climbed the steps, he looked at me and then turned to go back to the boat. The correct thing for me to do was drop the top paddles, race to the bottom and lift those. By now he had pulled his boat away from the gate but a shout from me to make him aware of what I had done plus an apology for not checking below lock first and I soon had those gates open. He was not alone as another boat followed him in. Wow, this boat had serious engine problems.  I had no camera with me but imagine a bonfire with clouds of smoke blowing in your direction. How he coped with it standing on the back deck do not know as I was coughing and spluttering like a good 'un just being nearby. Because of the problems, the boat could only creep out and as Ian took FS through the haze, clipped the gate hard as his vision was obscured. Yep...it really was that bad! Goodness knows where he will end up. I wouldn't want to travel far breathing in those fumes and I certainly wouldnt want to share a lock!

Ian took these photos of me opening the bottom gate for those boats

You can just make out the smoke in the far right lower corner.
So its more of a photo blog today.

Linslade and the Wyvern fleet. We counted 33 boats moored and came across two along the way. That's a lot of hire boats! 

New 'waste of money' signs gone up and since when is a winding hole called a winding area? There was nothing wrong with the old signs. The money would be better spent on maintaining the waterways!

Soulbury Three

In the top lock of the Soulbury Three
 Had hoped to make Fenny Stratford before the rain set in. We were unlucky as only a mile to go and the rain fell in torrents. The 24 hour moorings were free so this will do for the night. Have booked a haircut tomorrow morning and then it's off to Campbell Park so the family can visit.


Fenny Stratford lock. Has a swing bridge through the middle and only has a rise of 1' 1"

Do you think any cyclist would stop to read this??? And do you think any cyclist would know what 10 mph is without a speedometer? I think not!
 And seen on route,




No comments:

Blog Archive