About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 16 November 2018

No need to raise a paddle at this lock

Not too good today, woke up with my head spinning and balance completely gone. My vertigo has raised it's ugly head usually associated with an ear infection so it looks like I've picked up a bug of sorts.  Anyway, its a good excuse for making Ian do the housework today.

Leaving Braunston on a dank and dismal morning

Braunston Turn
I did make it on deck and even took over the helm when the locks needed doing. My mind set was to focus forward, don't look down or to the side and hope I don't topple in. The Hillmorton locks has 3 pairs on the flight and today we had them to ourselves. Another low pound in between lock 3&4 and 1&2 but apart from the moored boats at an angle, didnt stop our progress. A couple walking their dog said it was due to something caught under the lock gate. C&rt had been informed... over three weeks ago and still nothing done. Anyway, as soon as the top gate was closed and before a paddle had been raised, FS was already down by a couple of feet! Seems the bottom gate is leaking as well. No wonder the pound was low.

Top lock 6 & 7 (Thankyou Alf for putting me right.)

Middlwe pair 4 & 5

Low pound

Bottom locks 2 &3

Already going down!
You can see how much FS has already dropped

Leakage through the top gate
  Rugby and we stopped for a shop. I managed with Ian's help to get to Tesco and even put away the groceries although opening the fridge to put away the perishables got me spinning again. We only wanted to get to Old Oaks Wood but the last couple of miles took it out of me and Ian made me sit indoors while he helmed. Did manage to take a photo of Newbold Tunnel, now completely devoid of coloured lights.  T'was very pretty when we first went through in 2012.  This image was taken from the web and accredited to Roger Kidd

Ignore the fact my name is on the right hand side. it's Roger Kidds


My photo
Only one photo on our journey and no wildlife.

New bridge being built at Hillmorton and advance notice of delays below.

2 comments:

Alf said...

I think you will find that the locks at Hillmorton are in fact 2 & 3, 4 & 5, 6 & 7, No. 1 being at Sutton Stop.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks for the correction Alf. I was unaware of this fact.

Blog Archive