About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 12 August 2017

Hiding the battle scars

The Thames.....now what can I say about that river. Just fabulous having cruised the tidal section from Limehouse to Teddington and then the non-tidal as far up as Lechlade. (furthest point for larger craft).  But there is a downside to cruising this wonderful river. The lock landing pontoons are more for a cruiser height than us lower narrow boats and consequently, our cabin sides were in danger of being scratched. Balloon fenders stopped this from happening but the metal work on those pontoons played havoc with the gunwales, gouging out deep scars especially along the bow.  For this reason, Ian decided we would stay here on the Ashby and hide the battle scars. The weather forecast was for dry conditions so while he set about filling the scratches, I went for a walk to see if I could spot a Water Vole.



I had been told of Water Voles being spotted at the start of the Ashby so, of course, I had to head back to the junction and go see for myself.

From the junction bridge looking toward the start of the Ashby.

Coventry canal left and right.
 Walking back and something small swimming across the canal caught my eye. I was quite a long way away and even with my telephoto lens only just managed to get a picture

This at full zoom 300mm

And cropped.
 Also managed to get this Hairy Hawker Dragonfly, Thanks to Paul I now know this is a Southern Hawker.



And a small beetle type bug on a nettle leaf (notice those stinging hairs)


 Fishing this afternoon was abysmal. So very windy I couldn't use the pole. Out came the swim feeder to fish the far bank and within minutes the rod had a decent bend to it and, after a considerable fight, pulled out this Perch. So one very happy girl.


2 comments:

Paul Clark said...

Hi Irene

You did well to catch the water vole, even at that range. We saw one on the Kennet and Avon last year, the first I'd seen for many years. 30 years ago I saw them regularly on the Wendover Arm of the Grand Union. Great pictures too of the dragonfly, but it is a Southern Hawker rather than a Hairy Hawker - they are quite similar. I'm afraid I can't help with your green beetle thingy though....

Paul

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks, Paul, I will amend my post.

Blog Archive