About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday, 23 October 2016

Ughhhhh Leeches!

Sunday 23rd
Another grand day out to the centre of Sydney to peruse the markets and view the sights. I was surprised at how easy to find a parking spot, street parking for around 5 dollars and loads of spaces to be had considering it was Saturday. First stop view the restaurant we are going to be at on New Years Eve.

This the lounge area and the view is ................

 Only got the best place to see the NYE fireworks!!! Now very excited about Christmas and New Year.

This is the outside viewing platform form the restaurant
Having admired what was to offer at a place called The Rocks and deciding to wait purchasing anything until next year we then went to view the Sydney Opera house. It was decided to have a proper look at a later date as by now food was on our minds.

Waiting for our lunch. See that small blue thing on the table. Well that is a buzzer to let us know when our food is ready. No need for table numbers or numbers on a stand. Seems like a much better idea to me.

Me and my twin Bruv

Cadmans Cottage built in 1816 for the Superintendent of governors boats.

By mid afternoon Sally and Andre were beginning to worry about Ned. Having kept Andre awake most of the night with a dodgy tum, we headed back. Bless him he had tried to be good but a small mess greeted us on our return. So after cleaning the floor we all headed for the bush for his walk. Now over night we had rain so the ground was pretty wet. Thankfully Andre had told us to wear long trousers and socks because of the leeches and as soon as anyone stood still our shoes were covered in small brown ones. Forever picking them off we turned round to come home and check Neds feet. 4 were found sucking his blood in between his pad and salt was administered to make them drop off. Unfortunately leeches have a de-coagulant in their saliva so blood poured from his feet for ages. I got a bit paranoid and started lifting my trouser legs to see if any were on me. Didn't find any but then, on the floor, another leech. That did it for me. I was convinced I must be covered in the things and shot upstairs to the bathroom to remove all my clothes. That's when I saw blood pouring from a spot just below the knee. Having lifted my trousers I had obviously unhooked the thing from my skin and it was this leech I found on the floor. OMG now every time we take Ned for a walk I'm going to be paranoid! Yes that small spot bled for nearly an hour In the end a plaster was found and put over the wound.

Having a visit tomorrow from our nieces so a BBQ has been planned. Weather is very cool at the moment although sunny but that southerly wind goes right through you. I think we may have packed the wrong clothes! Trip to Sydney charity shops for jumpers maybe later this week if no improvement. Apparently it's even colder down in Melbourne and our trip with the caravan to the south starts next week.

And todays wildlife

Golden lizard

Add caption

Bull Ant the size of a 50p

Termite nest in a gum tree

1 comment:

Halfie said...

The Cape of Good Hope, Warwick, gives you a bleep if you're sitting outside by the lock. When your food is ready the bleep goes off and you collect your grub.

Blog Archive