About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday, 13 May 2016

Nerve racking moment.

Thursday 12th
Turned out nice it did, so instead of starting dinner last night I suggested going for a walk. Ian had noticed a information board by the lock that told the history of how the coarse of the Weaver had changed. One thing that grabbed his attention was the mention of deep groves cut in the stone on one of the arches made by the towing lines. I made the mistake of thinking the path would be walker friendly so sandals was my choice.

Anyway we found a path, not along the line of the river as I thought, but through a meadow. No problem at first but the terrain changed from nice long springy grass to marsh conditions! Ian led the way trying to point out the least wettest route. Didn't work though, as I ended up nearly up to my ankles in mud.Not wanting to turn back, eventually reached the viaduct and sure enough, the groves were plain to see.

Weaver used to flow through here.

Not wanting to return the same way, Ian suggested heading for a style a bit further along. This we thought would lead us onto the river path and back over the horse bridge. Well it did, but in the way were cows, calf's and bullocks....with bl**dy great horns! They stared at us and we stared back. Venturing through the small gate,we started across the field. And so did they...right towards us. A turn of speed we didn't think we had and we were back through that gate at full pelt. They kept coming toward us and then they had started to run. Straight past us and toward the viaduct. The timing was everything and as soon as we assumed them far enough away we made a break for it. Got to the river path and breathed a sigh of relief. Short lived because sauntering along suddenly a break in the barb wire fence, wide enough for the beast to get through if they so wanted. Everywhere cow pats so we knew they regularly used this path. All we could do was keep our nerve and continue walking. Kept looking back and they followed our every move but not one attempted to follow. Usually young bullocks and heifers don't worry us but when mum and calf's are involved...well that's another matter.

Canada Goose nest by the viaduct.
After all that excitement was glad to return to the lock mooring. Another night of being bitten and still no wiser as to what is feasting on me.

I'm getting paranoid now and smothering myself in insect repellent. Still no bites on Ian so think we may swap sides tonight to see if he gets bitten.

This morning we set off and was joined by another boat in Dutton lock. More boats seen on the move then in all the days spent on the Weaver. Must be the good weather bringing them out. Probably make Northwich for another shopping spree and stay for another night.

Thats Macs the lady lock keeper passing down the rope

Looks violent but we hardly felt the boat move

And todays wildlife,

Sand Piper

Another tufted duck


Catching flies

No comments:

Blog Archive