About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday, 19 March 2016

Volunteer duty done and dusted

We made it to Sawley by 10.30am having left Marlene a shade before 9.15. Still blooming cold so very thankful I put my Long Johns on this morning. After doing the loo empting and rubbish disposal at Trent Lock we descended onto a gentle flowing river, far cry from a week ago when it was a raging torrent. Having reached Sawley Lock and found to our delight the left hand lock was ready for us, I got Ian off at the steps so he could operate the electro-hydraulic mechanised locks, (a BW key is needed) as they are no longer manned. Volunteers are needed  but for now it's a DIY jobby only. Getting Ian back on at the top lock mouth was a no no...that wind you see but I managed to pick him up between two boats, only to spy a space further up for us to moor. Never mind it saved his legs!

When the river is on red boards all these steps are under water.
 This is sad. All along our route down the Erewash and in Sawley these posters are pinned to trees. 

Once we got the TV tuned (Rugby was on later) we made our way to Sawley Marina and found Norman and Shirley manning the ECP&DA stand.  Jim and Jennie was also there and between all of us we took turns looking after it.

Shirley, Norman, Jim, Jennie and Ian

 I managed to sneak out at one point to watch the Black Pig morris dancers strutting their stuff and very entertaining they were too.

What a fabulous hat.

 By 13.30 Ian was itching to get back to watch the Rugby so, duty done, we said our farewells and high tailed it back to FS. So glad to get back to a warm boat 'cause that 'icy wind' nearly did for us! Felt sorry for Norman and Shirley who had to stay until 16.00. Anyway while Ian was sitting watching the Rugby I went fishing and although only caught one, what a cracking fish it was. Another decent Perch weighing nearly 1.5lb.

Probably get to Willington tomorrow. Need to visit Midland Chandlers to replace one of our cassette slides. Keeps dropping off as we remove it, not pleasant I can assure you!

No comments:

Blog Archive