About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 19 May 2015

My little mishap

For heaven sake. Missed the bore by minutes!!! As we walked to our viewing point through the gap in the trees I saw this.

There it goes!



Oyster catcher trying his luck before the tide comes in

7 minutes rapid water rise

At first Ian reckoned it was the prelude to the event but on arriving at the hulk we could see it had passed us by and all we could see was the tail end. As bores go it wasn't that spectacular being  turbulent water rather then large wave. But at least we can say we saw it and it did get us out of the boat for an evening walk.

Off side mooring at Purton. Easy for getting to see the Hulks

Rainbow at Purton Upper Bridge
 So leaving early to beat the rain forecast for this afternoon, we headed back to Gloucester. With two loos to empty and the water tank to fill, first stop was at Saul Junction. Now this is where I had my mishap. The bank is slopped and, with Ian having a bad back still, I climbed onto the bow to fetch the hose out of the bow locker. Passing the hose to Ian, I stepped off the bow to get onto the bank and the next I knew my foot slipped on the gunwale and my right leg disappeared down the gap. Bad back or no, Ian rushed to my side and managed to pull me to safety. If he hadn't the rest of me may have followed my leg as I was trying to hang on to the bank!!! Did I feel an idiot??? You bet especially as a white van happened to be passing at that precise moment. Hobbling back on board and checking for damage, I luckily only bruised the knee and lost a bit of skin. I'm none the worst for wear although walking is a bit painful. So what with Ian and his back, me with my knee, there is not one fit person amongst us. We had hoped to walk into Gloucester tomorrow but not sure now. The joys of getting old and decrepit eh?

Mind the gap!

Swelling nicely

Would I love to see what cyclist do with this lot!


Willow Trust boats winding at Saul Junction

And another trip boat. 

The two tall ships moored just outside Gloucester

Sainsbury on the left
Hmmm. Do you think this ring is man enough to secure our boat???
 And a few wildlife piccys seen on route






No comments:

Blog Archive