About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 9 March 2015

Good Grief! The trouble I've had trying to get a postal vote.

In just under 12months I will be entitled to my bus pass. My state pension is also due a month later. In May we have the general elections to elect the 56th Parliament of the UK. So for the last couple of weeks we have been looking to get a postal vote. We get the age old answer, what is your postcode? Councilors cant get their heads around the fact we live on a boat and don't have an address. One told us to use our daughters address for the vote. 'What about the bus pass' I asked. Her reply, 'Well you could use that as well'. 'Isn't that classed as fraud' says I 'seeing as I don't live there'. 'Oh I suppose it is' says she! 

So how do I get my bus pass??? Okay... You must be resident in that area to be entitled to one, hence a post code ( PO box or Poste Restante wont do). Our mooring here in The Great Northern Basin wasn't registered which meant we couldn't even show out mooring agreement, we were just fobbed off from one borough council to the next. After trying three different councils all in the Derby area and all telling us that if we don't have a post code or pay council tax we are not eligible, finally one came good (Amber Valley) who have pulled out all the stops and over the last 5 days have managed to, not only get the Great Northern Basin registered, but to issue us with an address:- Nb Free Spirit, Great Northern Basin Moorings, Langley Mill, Derby. Our post will go to ECP&DA Cottage next to the basin which hopefully means there should be no problem with getting the postal vote, bus pass or pension at a later date. Finally a result!
 Smiley

And one wildlife photo. Female Greenfinch by the feeders .



No comments:

Blog Archive