About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 20 October 2014

Short trek to Kilby

The sunset last night was impressive but this mornings sunrise was even better. I wouldn't even have seen it if it wasn't for a boat going past us at 7am. And there were we hoping for another boat to lock down with today. 7 was just a tad early for us, I was still in bed and Ian in his dressing gown making the tea. So it was as I mentioned yesterday, looking out of the bedroom window to see what boat was creeping past that I noticed the chap on the back taking a photo. Thats when I noticed the sky! I grabbed the camera and hoped no one was on the towpath to see me in my nighty.



 I expect this red sunrise is all to do with the remnants of the hurricane. Having got up earlier then anticipated we thought we may as well get going before the winds arrived and, with no hope of another boat to join us, felt we were in for a slow progress through the locks.

Mooring at Newton Harcourt. Photo taken at 8am
   High winds are expected tonight and judging by the wispy cirrus cloud formation the bad weather is coming our way pretty soon.

t



 In total today we have only traveled 2 mile and descended 7 locks. Only the two last locks were with us as we met another boat coming up the flight. Plenty of space at Kilby bridge so here we will stay meeting up with my sister tonight and then best friend Pat for lunch tomorrow. I expect we will move on Wednesday if the River Soar is not on red boards.

No comments:

Blog Archive