About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 10 August 2014

I think I got away with it.

Well I can't moan about lack of water in the pounds today judging by the amount of water pouring over the gates.



For once the weather forecasters got it bang on. The now down graded hurricane, Bertha, arrived at Walsden at roughly 9am bringing a deluge of rain. No wind to speak off...yet...but no doubt that will come later.

Family arrived by 1sh to collect Echo, Stick insects and the 'Sunflower'. Josh took one look and said "Wow nanny its grown and what a big flower" Both Kev and Christine played along and I thank my lucky stars for the garden center nearby. So one very happy young man clutched it lovingly to his chest as he carried it back to the car.

Stick Insects
This one is fully grown and I think its name was Cowboy

Baby stick insect Tom
 After they left, and with a lull in the rain, we moved up a further two locks. Last night the church bells nearby chimed the quarters and the hour keeping us awake from 3am. I didnt relish another bad night so, knowing the moorings above lock 30 were good, we moved to moor between Jubilee and Happy Daze. Unfortunately we got caught out in another downpour as we entered lock 30. Ian managed to pass me the brolly, which would have been okay if it hadn't  kept blowing inside out. I was very thankful when John and Jan arrived and helped to close the gate and then invited us in for a  very welcome warming cup of tea.

Tonight we have been invited, along with Lindsay and Paul (Happy Daze) to join John and Jan on Jubilee. We may need to get kitted up with wet weather gear just to go the few yards to their boat as it's still lashing down and doesn't appear to want to let up. Oh and yes the winds has arrived as the forecasters predicted.

 

2 comments:

Halfie said...

It was excellent having you two and the Happy Dazers round this evening. I haven't laughed so much for ages! By the way, the boat is called Jubilee (I know it's confusing...)

And I have successfully put Happy Daze (and Free Spirit of course) on my blog's side bar. I can't think why you might have been having problems. I renamed it to simply Happy Daze - have you tried that?

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi John,
Cant get my head around your boat name being Jubilee. Only ever thought of it as Halfie! Have amended my post to show the correct name. Thanks again for a super evening and yes I have managed to resolve the problem of getting Happy Daze on my side bar.

Blog Archive