About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 13 August 2014

Felt like Lady Muck

We were late! Appointed time to meet Richard the volunteer lockie was 9am.We left in plenty of time, or so we thought. Gave ourselves 90 minutes to do under 2 miles, 1 lock and a lift bridge. We couldn't have foreseen the problems that arose, but at the only lock we were to do on our own today, the boat nearly stalled and I lost all drive in forward and reverse. Managed to get out of the lock and tie up and from there Ian spent 30 minutes or so with head and arms down the weed hatch trying to free the prop of rubbish. 


At the start of the rummage.

It just kept coming

End result.
 We were within spitting distance of the lift bridge and Ian, armed with BW key, handcuff key and windlass (you have to be prepared), walked down to get it ready. It turned out to be a busy road bridge which needed to have lights flashing and barriers down to stop the traffic. Ian saw a window of opportunity and inserted the BW key, pressed the buttons and down came the barriers. It was at this time a sudden surge of cars appeared. Of course it happened to be rush hour and I bet every one of them cursed the fact that we had opened the bridge. As I made my way through I sensed the accusing eyes of the people boring into me. I wish now I had done the Queens wave and nodded and smiled at them all but I chickened out at the last minute. I did feel very superior and when Ian came back on board he had the biggest grin and a smug look of satisfaction on his face for making the commuters wait! Oh what it is to have power!

 Ian gave Richard a call as soon as he was back on FS to tell of our delay. He was fine about it and said that all the locks on the flight were empty and needed filling. He had managed to recruit another volunteer who would join us further down the flight. So having arrived at Failsworth Top lock only 20 mintes late, Richard started us on our descent.


Richard (right) meeting up with Alan (left and with his back to us )
Now I would like to say we had a great run down, and for the most part we did but oh the rubbish in the canal. The stuff on top was easy to see but what was underneath was more of a worry. So many times the boat rose out of the water, tipped to one side and then came crashing down again. In fact how we didn't end up suspended in mid air is beyond me.

A very large and wide shelf ran along the offside which was well marked. Shame they forgot about a huge boulder sticking out on the towpath side which we ran into! It was on an avoidance maneuver to keep away from the overgrowth!

One of the sad sights one sees here in Manchester
And this floating in the same lock
 Water was never a problem today. In fact as I mentioned yesterday the canal had to much. Nearly every bywash was gushing down from the pound above. Ian really had to put on the revs if he didnt want to be pushed into the bank.




Alan helping Ian through at lock 76
 Now for the majority of the time I was helping with the locking duties. Richard left us to make his way home at lock 76 so I walked on to lock 77 to get that ready. My this was one deep lock and I happened to notice that the bottom gate paddle had been left up. Trouble was there was no way for me to get round, the end of the beam was hard up against the railings. So I had to crawl.....yes crawl underneath the lock beam 'cause my legs weren't long enough to clamber over it. I must have looked a right sight and was very thankful no one was around to witness that!


Not the razor wire on top of the walls. These factory owners meant business! (Alan in yellow walking down to meet me)

Manchester skyline
 Lock 81and the last lock of today. With the help from the volunteers, we did the run 10 minutes short of 4 hours.  Alan told me to hop back on board and after 2 1/2 miles of walking and helping with 18 locks I was ready for a sit down. This last pound was also very high. Hardly any towpath concrete edge to be seen.


Ten minutes later we did a left turn into New Islington Basin (otherwise known as Cotton Field). Here we had been told was the best place to moor for the night. So far so good as we have no sign of the local bandits but the night is still young and the basin is open to all having a path all the way round. Just hope the rain forecast for tonight will keep them all at bay.

Left turn off the Rochdale and into New Islington Basin




3 comments:

Diane and Ray said...

Hi Irene and Ian we have been following your blog with interest as we plan to go that way next year. But also to say we are moored in Castlefield at the moment, so not very far away. Regards Diane and Ray Nb Ferndale

James said...

Hope you have/had a safe night there. We were lucky, three boats moored opposite you were less so sadly. There was an armed gang of ten youths terrorising the locality a couple of days ago, I posted the link to Manchester news on FB

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hello Diane and Ray,
Wish I had read my comments earlier because we could have stopped to say hello. Unfortunately we sailed past and are now moored at Lymm. I'm sure our paths will cross at some point, After all, there are only a few thousand miles in which to find one an other(:

Blog Archive