About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 22 August 2014

A Kingfisher paid us a visit

A loud 'Morning Jameisons' at around 7.30am made me glance out of the porthole window to see  Captain Ahab on Wandering Bark coming past! He must have been moored round the bend by the Fox & Anchor and I wish I'd known! Could have had some more of their delicious Chilli Jam. As it was all I could do was shout a reply as I was still in my nightie and enjoying the first cup of tea of the day.

We set of late (well late of late if you get my meaning) by 8.15am and made excellent time to Gailey. Here I was to meet a lady who happened to help with the canal cleanup back in March. Think she said her name was Ann (I'm hopeless at remembering names) but what a coincidence. If you click on the link she is in the ninth photo down wearing blue top, light grey trousers and red gloves. Then also at Gailey, and on the water point was Peter & David Nb Hyskier who has been following my ramblings, another fellow blogger although hasn't posted for a while. They followed us down the locks until Penkridge where we moored by the Cross Keys and they carried on and moored before Filance lock.

Moored by the water point was Ann (in pink)


Ian and Dave


Peter at the helm

At Rodbaston lock I met another lady (Sue I think her name was) with boat 'Cleddau'. She's another one of my blog readers so at least I know I have at least two who follow the blog!!

I see Rodbaston top gates are still leaking badly.

Lucky to get the last mooring by the Cross Keys pub.
Once moored I nipped to Ian's tackle shop to see if a new section of pole could be bought. Unfortunately I accidentally trod on the second section and snapped it clean in two. I'm now £35 lighter as the only piece that would fit the other sections came in two parts. Still it's a darn sight cheaper then the £500 - £1000 a new pole would have cost me! We also called in at the Cross Keys for a spot of lunch. Not bad for pub grub and prices reasonable as most items on the menu was under £8.00 (oh apart from the steak at £10)

We left Penkridge around 2ish and would have liked to have been at Stafford boat club tonight. But at every lock we had to wait for boats exiting and then coming up so instead we stopped after Acton Trussell. Just a short run and 1 lock to do in the morning before arriving at the boat club. Here we meet up with Carole and Alan who has kindly looked after our car on their driveway since we left Stafford in July. I'm sure they will be glad to see the back of it!

Wildlife to day (cant believe this Kingfisher landed right outside the window. Took these photos through the glass.)









3 comments:

Graham said...

Well Irene, you can't complain now about not getting good bird photographs!

Most people would be delighted with the lower kingfisher but the top one is just about as perfect as you can get. Certainly one for the Countryfile calendar.

Congratulations, you must be quite chuffed.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Ohhh Thanks Graham. I even had to take the photo looking through the glass window so was really chuffed when it turned out okay. Countryfile Calender?? Well maybe.(:
Xxx

Elly and Mick said...

Irene, that's the best kingfisher photo I've seen! Well done!!
Elly

Blog Archive