About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 21 July 2014

The change in three years.

  I loved the mooring by the lock last night, not just because the fishing was excellent, but an unexpected visitor arrived to pose for me opposite the boat.



 The only down side was the fact the railway was within yards of the canal. With all the undergrowth we hadn't realised just how close we were. But to be fair the trains stopped running by about 11pm and didn't hear them at all this morning. We made a late start as our Maccelsfield Canal guide (from the canal society) said it was an hour and 40 minutes to Congleton. They were only 5 minutes out as we did it in one hour and 45 minutes. It was a conveniant stop for the Spar shop and a 3/4 mile walk for me to the tackle shop. While I was away Ian washed the roof and side to get rid of the water marks left by going through Harecastle tunnel.

Visitor mooring in Congleton.
Having stayed for a spot of lunch, we left for the hour and 50 minute run to Bosley (again timings in the guide). Now I love this canal. When I die I want my ashes scattered by Bosley locks so I can forever reside over the views of the countryside and Bosley Cloud. So my only criticism to this wonderful canal is the lack of maintanence along the way. As you may have gathered I'm not a big fan of C&RT at the moment. Especially with the so called veg pledge promised in 2004. Three years ago we spent time on the Macc and I raved about how lovely and tidy the towpaths were all along length. So these photos show a then and now photo. I think that you will agree the veg pledge in this part of the system is not being honoured!


Spring 2011



And now 2014!
 Mow Cop was seen in the distance as we traveled to the visitor moorings by Bosley lock. This is one walk I would like to do one day, but not now as I'm saving myself for the walk up Bosley Cloud tomorrow.


Bosley Cloud.
I took a few more pictures on our short journey and a couple I think you may find amusing.

Cant even see the bridge 'ole sides.






Hmmm. Should I enter this for the Countryfile competition?

So which way round the island?

3 comments:

Mrs. Jaqueline Biggs said...

Spectacular photos per usual! I've never seen a better picture of a Kingfisher. I love the Maccie too and I've often thought the same thing about my ashes. We were first up there in 2012 and very unhappy with the weed situation that August. According the Macclesfield Canal Society maps there were all kinds of place we could moor, but we spent over an hour going back and forth on the same section looking for the elusive mooring places to access Tesco just outside of Macclesfield and could never get close enough to put out a plank.
JaqXX

Adam said...

The bridge holes were quite bad last September when we were up there. Some were difficult to tell which side the tow path went! But the veg pledge was dropped years ago -- probably because it was completely unrealistic and expensive -- and certainly long before CRT took over from BW.

Herbie Neil said...

Excellent photo of the Kingfisher!
I think C & RT have got their policy a bit skewed, on the cruising we have done recently I think they have cut back too much vegetation!
We can't win.
Kath (nb Herbie)

Blog Archive