About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 20 June 2014

Seems the Shroppie is worse!

Yes I know I have been harping on and on about the state of the towpaths and once we turned onto the Shropshire Union, I believed my ranting would be over. Unfortunately not so and I apologise now for my moan, but, in my mind, they are even worse!

From top (L) Our mooring between bridge 7 and 8 Top (R) and bottom (L) view from our side hatch and bottom (L) vegetation on route.
As you may have guessed we are on the Shroppie. Our plan was to visit Pendeford Mill nature reserve a short walk away from bridge 5. Our attempts to get into the side failed miserably. There appears to be a ledge running along most of the length up to bridge 7 and very few piled edges. Even on this mooring we have had to knock in pins but at least we are against the towpath. So instead of recounting the journey from Boggs lock on the Staffs & Worc to Bridge 7 on the Shroppie, I will tell the tale in pictures.

Kids enjoying themselves by Calf Heath Wood


Road widening on the M54





The start of the narrows at Foster Bridge

Half way through and a trust boat arrives

As we went past it pulled the bow of the trust boat out, right in the path of the boat following.

First time ever we have had to queue at Autherley Junction

View up the Shroppie now almost obscured by the over growth.

Apart from the state of the towpath this is a lovely mooring. And the fishing excellent.

I would like to think this is a water vole, but I'm not so sure it isn't a rat.


First mating seen of the scarce blue tailed damselfly

No comments:

Blog Archive