About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 23 June 2014

Aliens invade Free Spirit.

Have you ever wondered what all those tiny white insects are that stick to the boats super structure waterside and are always there first thing in the morning. Well so have I, and having winded FS before Wightwick Lock , all those insects were now on the towpath side. I just had to find out what they really looked like and, having taken several pictures with my macro lens I noticed that not all of them are alike. Some have tails and others appear to be losing them. My last picture shows one with no tail so I assume this to be the final stage.



Tail disintegration

 This one was on our hopper window so we removed the window, set it up against the cabin side and set my camera on a tripod. This one shows more detail and the tail all but gone.
I'm still none wiser but aren't they the weirdest and fascinating of creatures. At least now I have an idea of what they look like.

After winding we didn't go very far only back to Compton lock. It was to hot to do much at all today but Ian did find the energy to wash the roof and sides while I went for another walk around the nature reserve.



Wightwick Lock by the winding hole

 
Mooring below Compton Lock

Ratty opposite this mooring



Need to keep well away from this waterfall. Wightwick Mill Lock

Got wet feet from these side spouts.

New way of winding. Giving it a good push.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are mayfly. The eggs hatch underwater, nymphs live and feed in the water. After a year or more likely two years for the species you have, the mayfly leave the water to mate. They are unique in having two distinct adult stages, what you see is the discarded exoskeleton of the first stage. Adults are short lived, they mate and lay eggs, they do not feed, all their energy has been stored from the aquatic nymph phase of their lives.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hello Anonymous,
Thanks for the information. I am now that bit wiser. I would love to have known your name, though but I do appreciate any help that is offered.

Blog Archive