About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 16 November 2013

My 'know your way round a camera' course part 1

I have so been looking forward to today.  I finally get to know how to get the best out of my camera and get off auto settings once and for all!. The venue for the course was at Wollaton Hall and Deer Park near Nottingham. A spectacular place for photographing landscapes, architecture and wildlife. Getting to grips with what our tutor Graham Nobles (Going Digital) was trying to instill in us was mind blowing. Talking about F numbers, ISO's, depth of field, focal points, lenses and focal length all seemed like another language, but slowly it started to sink in. So no more auto for me. Instead Aperture priority is the way forward and I'll be adjusting the settings to get the best shots. I still have a long way to go before understanding completely so I have enrolled in a 'know your camera part 2' in a months time. I had better be up to scratch with my new knowledge as I'm sure Graham wont want to go through the first part with me again! Here are a few of my photos taken today.

I took these stags on arrival, before the course had started. Then all the rest of the photos were during the course. To me there is a vast difference in capturing the light, colours and backgrounds. Shame I couldn't try my new found skills on more stags. They had all wondered off by the time we got out to start our photography.

Portrait photography and short depth of field
 

Long depth of field and getting the best out of the light for vibrant colours.



Focusing points


Controlling bright lights in landscape and points of interest.

Short depth of field.
So here are my And finally. All still taken from my fast amount of wildlife photographed over the years. I hope to do much better in the future.







No comments:

Blog Archive