About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 24 October 2013

Meeting a fellow blogger.....but briefly

This weekend the clocks go back! Getting up every morning at 7am to take Woofit out,  we can just about see where she performs. Next week there will be no chance without a torch! How I hate dark mornings! Still this morning there was a definite pink glow to the sky and with the moon reflecting in the water it made for a lovely tranquil moment.




It was a glorious autumnal day for cruising with the reflections on the still water making lovely pictures. Then it all changed in a moment!


Very colourful
I was enjoying sitting in the well deck soaking up the sun when I heard the distinctive sound of a chugging engine. Thinking maybe we had a problem I looked back and noticed this boat come steaming past.

Now we are not slow averaging about 3 to 3.5mph when conditions are right so this boat must have been doing above 4mph. Ian said it sat right on our back fender till we moved over. So I expected him to disappear into the distance but no, we kept up with him even observing his departure from the back deck to go below leaving the boat in gear and heading for the bank! Thankfully he reappeared before the bank was met. The smoke billowing from his exhaust was unreal. Thank goodness we didn't have to follow him through a tunnel!

 
Nb Persia left in gear with no one at the helm.

Arriving at Gailey he was only just in front and we suspect that he wanted to reach the lock before us. We had to stop at the facilities so he would have had the lock anyway!


After a 15 minute stop to water up and empty both cassettes, we set off for the run down the locks to Penkeridge. I dropped Ian off just before Brick Kiln lock and as per usual I hovered while Ian set the lock. Then Ian waved to tell me a boat was on it's way up. I did no more then pull onto the landing, or at least try to!!! Unbeknown to me Ian had left the center rope smack bang in the middle of the roof. My stern was at the bank but the bow was swinging out. Normally I just step off with the rope and pull the bow in. Not this time though! Without a rope stepping off the boat was out of the question, and with the other boat almost up, I would have effectively blocked the canal. Luckily Ian heard my shout and came running back to help. Once safely into the side the exiting boat came past and that's when I realised it was Geoff and Mags on Nb Seyella. Unfortunately we could only say a quick hello before they disappeared toward Gailey lock. Maybe next time we will be able to stop for a natter.



Carrying on towards the rest of the flight, as far as we were aware, Nb Persia was the only boat in front and most annoyingly he left bottom gates open at Boggs lock and Otherton lock. Just one of my many pet hates!!! All the other locks were with us but I do so wish lone boaters would be a bit more considerate and close gates!

Ian having to close bottom gates at Otherton lock.

 Now those that read my blog will remember my post in March 2011 Waterfall at Rodbaston Lock . Well it's still leaking. Not quite as bad but I'm wondering just how long it takes for C&RT to get round to sorting the leakage out!


And then at Filance lock I nearly had wet bedding when water poured from the lock wall and I only just managed to run down to the bedroom to close the window!

Having stopped at Penkridge to get more bait from the tackle shop and then walk into town for provisions from the Co Op we decided to stay instead of moving on. After all it was about 3pm and we only have 5 miles to do tomorrow to meet with our newly weds, Alan and Carol, at Stafford boat club. So with fresh bait I went fishing and got me a huge bream ( well huge by my standard anyway.)



And finally:-







4 comments:

Geoff and Mags said...

Oh, we're so sorry not to have made the connection! We'd have loved to have a chat.
About NB Persia - He looked a grumpy bugger when we swapped Bogg's Lock with him!
Guess what, we're moored in the same place as you were last night. Are you opposite Tom's Moorings? if so, we've just changed places!
We'll keep a better eye out next time.
Keep well.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hello Geoff and Mags,

How bizarre. We are opposite Toms Moorings and very pleasant they are too. It would be lovely to meet and greet properly. Maybe sometime next year.
Happy cruising.

Jill Matilda Rose said...

Wrong way round, it will be lighter in the morning when the clocks go back; just as well I'm struggling to get out of bed at the moment!

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Jill,

Yes you are right but unfortunately Jade cant read the time so we will now have to get up at 6am when it will still be dark!

Blog Archive