About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 31 October 2013

Gosh I'm famous!

Well not really, but Ian was chatting to the chap off of Nb Stanley on the water point at Armitage and, as he was bringing his hose to the tap, suddenly recognised Free Spirit. Apparently his wife reads my blog and admired my photos. I wish I had got their names but if they are reading this thank you so much for reading my ramblings and your kind comments. Then would you credit it, heading toward Handsacre, we passed Nb Invincible and they also took one look at the boat and said they read my blog. How amazing to be hailed and recognised twice in one day! I sort of hoped I'd get a third as most things happen in threes but it was not to be!

You may have gathered that were on the move again and this time our destination is Fradley. Leaving Rugeley before 9am we had a relatively good journey but for one little heart stopping incident when a co ownership boat approached us with family on board. The parents had allowed their kid of about 6 or 7y to stand on the roof. The boy, in his exuberance to wave at us, toppled over and only just saved himself from going in! The dad didn't look in the least concerned and just said to the lad ' I told you so!'  Not much more to say on the subject really other then to say how idiotic can one get!!!! Anyway we arrived at Shade House and instead of descending the three locks to the junction decided it was much nicer and maybe quieter to stay at the top. After all it is Halloween and the youngsters may be about! As I haven't stocked up with any treats its best we keep out of their way!


Armitage Tunnel. This used to be a tunnel, but was opened out to form this deep cutting in about 1970.
I found a photo of the same section taken in 1972





Wood End Lock

Shadehouse Lock

Could this nest box be for rodents?

Tonight's mooring above Shadehouse lock

And finally:-






Top two photos taken from this one.

3 comments:

Jo Lodge said...

Isn't it wonderful when you meet your blog readers?
I do so love chatting to blog readers, it makes you realise that what you write each day is worth while.
The boxes hanging in the trees are apparently there to hopefully encourage something rare to climb into them, so they can be used to stop HS2. This is what I was told, but of course it could be wrong. Not sure they have had any success yet.
Stunning photographs as always.

Hugssssssss xxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hello, it's Lynn from Nb Stanley. It was lovely to meet you yesterday. Really like your photographs and enjoying reading your blog. Maybe our paths will cross again in the future.
Lynn (and Eric)

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hello Lynn and Eric.

I wish we had longer to have a chat. I'm sure we will meet again one day and if you see us coming your way in the future just leave me a message and we'll get together.

Blog Archive