About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 15 October 2013

C&RT funding reaches down into the depths.


With 17 miles, 4 locks and 3 lift bridges to do today we left at 8 am. It was cold but dry and within 1/2 hour the sun had poked it's head through the cloud. With me on lock duties for the last 4 of the Lapworth locks, and having to empty all but one, it stood to reason that I was a lot slower then if Ian had been doing them. Took me nearly 50 minutes!!!! Ian would have done them in half the time. I did find the paddles a struggle and some of the gates were very heavy.


Jade waiting to get back on board.

Look.......... sun!!!

The first lift bridge loomed and I was baffeled at what was going on. It seemed to be partially raised but no one appeared to be about. Then a chap arrived with rope in hand and all became clear. He was a lone boater having to cope with trying to bring the boat through. Ian jumped from the boat and ran to give him a hand. It cant be easy doing lift or swing bridges on your own!



Look........... still sunny!
Once all the lift bridges were out of the way the cruise to Brum almost went without hitch. On route we saw some sights that made me smile.

Has Christmas come early?

Hot and cold running water maybe?

What a great idea. Certainly grabbed my attention.

Then rounding a bend I looked to my left and thought I saw something on a fence post. Making Ian reverse so I could get a photo, this is what I managed to get.



Shame the photo is grainy. Too far away to get a decent picture.
 Having gone under the now newly refurbished guillotine lock and being very disappointed at the graffiti already present, we made the turn onto the Birmingham and Worcester canal.



It was on this stretch and approaching the railway bridge that we were made to wait while C&RT had their dredger in the bridge 'ole. In all we had to wait about 15 minutes, which really wasn't that long  considering what they had to bring up from the bottom. 


Another piece of scrap metal to add to the collection

Moving to allow us through
Once underway again, we saw exactly what they had found.

All this rock and brick was lying on the bottom. Ian jokingly said he hoped it wasn't the bed of the canal!

And this lot all came from under this bridge (79)  and the next bridge (80)


So it begs the question. Can C&RT make some pocket money from all this scrap? I like to think they can.
We arrived in Birmingham and moored on the 14 day mooring by Sheepcote bridge. Here we will stay for a few days. On Thursday we will walk to the Hipperdrome Theatre to see the matinee performance of War Horse. Ive already got the tissues handy as everyone who has seen it said how moving the play is.

I don't usually do stats but when Ian told me what we had done since June, I was amazed. 750 miles and 590 locks to date including 15 lift and swing bridges. We certainly made up for lost time!

And finally:-







No comments:

Blog Archive