About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 13 October 2013

A great evening.

I made a right of a mess of it when trying to turn into the Saltisford Arm yesterday. Having left the last lock of the day, Cape Locks, I was quite happily traveling along this lovely long straight with a bridge in the distance at a speed of just over 3mph. Ian usually tells me which bridge I need to be at for things like mooring up and shopping etc but he failed to mention that the arm is literally just past the bridge ole. As I get to bridge he suddenly appears from the bowels of the boat and tells me the turn is literally yds in front of me. For goodness sake couldn't he have warned me earlier! So trying to slow the boat and do the left hand turn meant that the far bank loomed up quicker then anticipated. Thankfully I stopped just before crashing into the side and after about a zillion point turn managed to get into the arm. No one was around to witness my misdemeanor and so traveled the last 100yds or so appeared to any onlookers as if I was in complete control of the boat!



 Anyway we stopped outside the shop and found Ian the owner who directed us to wind and then moor up by a pair of hotel boats. Keith found us and invited us for tea and cake. Well if any of you have ever tried Jo's baking your in for a treat. A magnificent sponge filled with butter icing and lemon curd appeared and we were told it was baked specially for Ian's birthday. Wow, is all I can say. It was delicious. Having talked for hours (well there was a lot of catching up to do) we finally left them and arranged to meet at 6.30pm for the walk into town. Unfortunately the rain started before we left and we all got drenched but the soaking was worth it. The Thai meal was delicious. Thanks go to Keith and Jo for making a great and memorable evening.

We all seem to be a bit on the skew. Its not us that's had one to many but the lady taking the photo!
Today we are going to tackle the Hatton flight. 21 locks and all to do in the pouring rain. That will be the post for tomorrow if I haven't caught double pneumonia!
     
And finally:-







3 comments:

Jo Lodge said...

It was absolutely fabulous ( Yeah I know its a program hehehe)to see you both and we so enjoyed our time with you over the weekend. Hopefully we will see you again some where on the cut next year for another catch-up. Thank you for the coffee and cake yesterday, your Banana cake is to die for. Our hubbies are so lucky we can both bake LOL.
Hope all goes well over the Winter.
Lots of love. Jo & Keith xxxxxxxxx

Mrs. Jaqueline Biggs said...

Happy belated birthday to Ian. From he pictures posted on your and Jo's blog it appears to have been a grand evening indeed.

Many thanks again for your nature pictures Irene. since we are going nowhere for some time to come, I find visiting your blog and just looking at the pictures very healing.
Jaq

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thank you, Jaq, for Ians birthday wishes. The evening was fantastic, made more special with good company. I'm so glad you like my photos and they help make the day better. Both of you seem to have a very special relationship to cope with everything that life has thrown at you. We wish you all the best for the future.

Blog Archive