About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 9 August 2013

Quite taken with the Lee.

For the first time in ages we heard rain beating down on the roof at 5.30am, but a quick look at the forecast promised drier weather later. So once Jade had been walked we set off for Picketts lock. Most of the locks from here on are manual, just need some muscle power as the gates are VERY heavy .We did have one lock that needed buttons pushing due to the lack of balance beams on the bottom gates. No room for them as the road and wall got in the way.  It's been one of those quiet days for us, no mishaps, moans or loose boats, which makes a change. All in all its been a lovely day cruising the Lee. Once moored at Nazeing Marsh I went with Jade to find somewhere she could have a swim. She was really hot and uncomfortable and swimming helps with her back. The only place was by a fishing peg and she had a bit of a leap of faith to get in but boy did she love it. On the way back, and as I rounded a corner, there, staring at me, was a muntjac deer. For once no camera and I usually always have my camera so I was really mad at myself for not taking it with me. Still maybe there will be another opportunity at some point. As I only took a few pictures on route, this post wont be as long as normal.

Last nights mooring Nr Tottenham Marshes

Ponders End mill stream

Enfield Lock with resident pigeons nesting in the lock gates


Rammey Marsh lock

Lock cottage by Picketts lock





And finally:-






 brown marmorated stink bug




No comments:

Blog Archive