About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday, 13 July 2013

Internet and phone black spot. Napton

Last night we had no Internet, no phones and no telly. Okay there was telly if you liked the porn, religion and the selling channels! Strange how one can always get those to tune in but not BBC or ITV. So I have a bit of catching up to do with reading other bloggers posts as well as posting my own.

Never can fathom why Jade doesn't get out of the sun and lie in the shade. We put the brolly up specially! This was our moorings by bridge 109
 No dramas today just a good run into Braunston.

On the Grand Union looking back to the junction and Braunston Church.

 Braunston was the usual chaos with boats going in all directions and hooters sounding every few minutes. We were at the facilities by Midland Chandlers which really only has enough room for two boats, the other boat ,a hire boat, had a father and son from New Zealand on their first boating holiday. We only needed to empty loo and get rid of rubbish and we debated whether to nip into Midland Chandlers but thought better off it. Best if we left sooner rather then later  because of the boats moored opposite and boats coming round from the junction. The channel is very narrow at that point and we didn't fancy being side swiped by boaters trying to get past. We turned onto the Grand Union and at Napton Junction went straight on to cruise the Southern Oxford canal. After Napton Marina and through bridge 109 we stopped so Ian could paint the hand rail and make a stand for our Buckby cans to stop them sliding about on the roof.

Masking up

Needs to be painted still but does the job nicely..

 I tried a spot of fishing which was hopeless because of all the boats on the move. Instead I caught up with watching stuff I had recorded on TV and hadnt got round to watch. It was much to hot to sit outside anyway.

This morning was a very early start. With the hottest day of the year forcast we wanted to be moored up by noon. It seems that everybody else was of the same opinion because reaching Napton locks, three boats were already on the way up. We joined the queue expecting a long wait but we were lucky as we kept meeting boats on the way down, and before we knew it we were at Napton Top lock.

More boats arriving at the bottom and it was only 7.30am

This notice had been put up between the first two locks. Could be that  C&RT are trying to control over stayers perhaps.

Add caption
We found a lovely shady spot by Wormleighton Grange and true to our word, we were moored by midday.

Ian will give the handrail a second coat and I'm off exploring.

 Took some of these photos on the journey,

Posted outside the Folly pub.

Napton Windmill on top of Napton Hill


HS2 will spoil this part of the South Oxford canal
 And finally:-


This is one of those tiny caterpillars that hang by a silk thread from the leaves.


No comments:

Blog Archive