About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 2 June 2013

This was DESPICABLE!

Sometimes I despair at the mentality of some people. I witnessed a dog terrorising a duck for over 15 minutes. Her ducklings (counted 8 but could have been more) had been scattered in all directions and she was frantically trying to lure the dog away from them. When I came upon the scene only a man on his bike was standing watching. I asked if he knew who the dog belonged to but he just shook his head. I followed the swimming dog and the now traumatised duck a few yards further up the canal and around the next bend stood a man. He said nothing but just stood watching. I again asked if this was his dog and he stared back without a word. I asked him again and he still refused to speak. Thats when I got cross and started taking photos and telling him I would report him to the RSPB for allowing the dog to continue chasing the duck without even attempting to call it out. Finally he answered and said it wasn't his dog! Then he walked off. By now the duck was exhausted but the dog just kept going for her. Finally when she had lured the dog well away from the ducklings she took off, circled and headed back toward where she had last seen her babies. As there was nothing more for the dog to chase, it came toward the towpath, scrambled up the bank and legged it after the man. I watched as he bent down, patted the dog and walked off. Utterly despicable.










I wish now I had taken a photo of the man but without knowing his name, or where he lived it would have been pretty pointless. Anyway after the drama I continued on my walk. Took Jade for a swim in the river and noticed the first Damselfly of the year. I managed to get a couple of close up photos and then spied a Banded Demoiselle hiding amongst the foliage

Large red Damselfly
Large red Damselfly in close up



Banded Demoiselle
.On my way back to the boat I was constantly looking for the duck and ducklings. It wasnt until I was nearly at Sandiacre lock that I spied them on a garden amongst the greenery. So glad they were all alright.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw bless her, she looks like she's smiling :-)

PS: That guy should have his dog taken off him.

Blog Archive