About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 15 June 2013

Pelsall rally opens to the public

Last nights entertainment for the boaters were brilliant. We had the Black Country ukelele band to entertain us and a good selection of real ales to help with the frivolity. Unfortunately the band brought their own sound system with them which didn't go through the speakers in the marquee so we did have to strain our ears a bit to hear them.

Black Country Ukelele band

John Baylis behind the bar

ECP&DA mob

Bob and Dave from the BCNS

So this morning from 7am there was frantic activity on the site. Stalls were going up and Ian and Malc finally managed to finish painting the bridge handrail. By 10am the public started to arrive and although it was a slow start, it wasnt long before car parks started filling and more people arrived. I did my 11am to 12pm stint on the Jeans stall and was kept busy for the whole time. Then I had a lovely surprise when a gentleman introduced himself as one of my blog followers. Turned out to be Graham with his wife Margaret and sister Gill. After I had finished my stint I made my way back to the boat only to notice in the distance a terrific rain storm coming. I high tailed it back to the boat  just in time before the deluge hit me. I knew that Graham would be coming over for a drink and hoped they made it to shelter. Suddenly a very wet and bedraggled threesome arrived in the midst of the down pour and as fast as possible got Graham, Margaret and Gill inside to dry out. Kettle was put on and they brought my favorite biscuits Shortbread with them, yummy. We had a very pleasant hour chatting about this and that but mainly about boating. It was lovely meeting them and hopefully we will meet again especially if Graham gets his own way of purchasing a boat!



After they left we went to have a look around the site and who would also be there selling his wares, Captain Ahab ( Andy ) and Helen Nb Wandering Bark.


We purchased a jar of their excellent Chilly Jam, had a natter, and left them to see to the hordes of people waiting to sample their delights. Lovely meeting you finally and I also managed to get this photo of Wandering Bark.


The afternoon went by all to quick and apart from the odd shower stayed mostly dry. Tonight in the beer tent a comedy duo will perform for us but before that we are off to have a hog roast. Here are some photos I took around the site.







My wildlife photos:-






Purple orchid flower






1 comment:

Andy Tidy said...

Glad you enjoyed the jam - it was great to meet you too.

Blog Archive