About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 21 January 2013

A Weasel encounter

 Overnight we have had another 3" of snow with snow still falling at lunchtime. No one else seemed to venture out in the snowy and icy conditions and so I was lucky enough to be the only person walking along the Nottingham canal today.
The bird!!! Not a brilliant photo

 I was trying to take a photo of a bird perched on a bullrush stalk when out of the corner of my eye I happened to notice a movement in the snow. So to see the weasel as it poked its head out of the snow was just brilliant. I had to stay very still for nearly 15 minutes to capture all these photo's and poor Jade must have been utterly fed up waiting by my side. I'm still not sure if this is a weasel. Apparently a Stoat is about the same size but has a black tip to its tail. As I couldn't see the tail I have assumed it to be a weasel.








It was certainly a good day to be out and about as my next photo opportunity came with what I initially thought to be a pigeon, turned out to be a Kestrel. Unfortunately I didn't have my telephoto lens attached to the camera so this was the best picture out of all those I took.



And then...... standing motionless on a gate post was this Shrew. I snapped away thinking how lucky I was that it hadn't moved........... and then it struck me. The shrew was dead!!!. Maybe it had been dropped by a bird and just happened to land on the post. Oh well. I'm still waiting to photograph my first fox but Ive ticked a few more furry creatures and birds of my list.



3 comments:

KevinTOO said...

Hi Irene,
If you want to photo foxes I'm sure my mum would welcome you round to her house. She has one or two visiting almost every evening which call around for their supper...
Kevin

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Kevin,
I think your mum is really lucky to have the foxes visit. Maybe in spring she will have a few cubs to watch as well. I have seen foxes running along the towpaths and across fields but never have they stayed long enough for me to grab the camera. I might just take up your mums offer one day.

Irene

Gill said...

Irene your photography is brilliant and I am really enjoying all these pictures especially the wildlife ones. You always seem to be in the right place at the right time! The ones of the weasel in the snow are wonderful.

Best Wishes to you both

Gill (Non boater but love boats and the waterways and the blogs give me my canal fix!)

Blog Archive