About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 12 November 2012

The flight of a Harris Falcon

 It's amazing who and what one meets on the towpath. As per normal Jade and I armed with camera, (me that is not the dog) set of for our morning walk. We headed off in the direction of the open fields and river and as we approached Gadsby canal bridge, a couple appeared from the opposite bank and perched on their arm were two very beautiful Falcons.

This bird was 17 weeks old and had not yet developed it's adult plumage It was still to young for its first flight. The next photo shows the same breed of falcon but now as an adult

An adult Harris falcon

Stretching its wings ready for the takeoff.

And off it goes!
I have only ever seen raptors fly in organised displays so to see one in the open with the possibility that it might not return was quite a sight.I'm pleased to say it did come back to its handler and received a reward of a piece of meat. Apparently they regularly fly this falcon in this field and that might explain why there is a lack of birds around these parts!! Once the youngster is old enough it too will take its first flight at this location as well.

Later in the day we received a phone call from Margaret on Nb Icing. You may have read in a previous post of my envy as they left for a 3 week cruise. Well Sunday was the day of return and the phone call was to see if Ian and I were up to doing a bit of lock wheeling. So off we trots to Shipley lock and gets there just in time to see them entering the lock. Yesterday a boat had departed from Langley and had left all the bottom gates open right down to Sandiacre. Thats 12 locks all set ready for 'Icing' and 'Bracken' on their return. Now I don't condone the leaving off gates open when a boat exits but I know some of the 'old school' boaters think it is quite acceptable. In this instance, though, it did the pair a favour and, instead of taking over 6 hours to arrive at Langley from Sandiacre, they did it in just under 5 hours. So having seen the pair of boats through Shipley and Eastwood locks I set off with Jade back to Langley fully expecting Ian to catch up with me after he had closed the gates. When he didn't materialise I started to wonder what had happened to him. As I looked back,  Nb Bracken was just coming around the bend and who should be steering at the back? Ian!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it!! There I am,  desperate to leave Langley Mill and get cruising again, knowing that it could be another 10 months before we do and he goes and, not only cadges a lift, but takes over the helm as well!!! Just wait until we take our other boat out in a couple of weeks time. Ian will have to surgically remove the tiller from my hand!!!

Dennis on 'Icing'

Heather on 'Bracken'

Ian at the helm of 'Bracken'.

1 comment:

Jo Lodge said...

Hi Ian and Irene.

Amazing photographs of the falcon and it is incredible who you meet whilst out walking. This year I got my first photograph of a Sparrow Hawk taking down a Blackbird and was so pleased with myself to get the photograph.
Ian was obviously in the right place at the right time, you missed out their girl, but can imagine your both desperate to get out and about on the boat.
Hugs and love to you both xxx

Blog Archive