About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday, 15 July 2012

Oops. I think I hooked the wrong end!

A lazy 6 miles and 10 locks was all we attempted today, including one very wet Dunhampstead tunnel. We didn't fancy doing the 30 locks of Tardibigge flight, so instead stopped 2 locks from the top on Stoke flight. We did have a bit of drama when we entered lock 24, as two tiny moorhen chicks entered the lock with us. Now we had a dilemma. The chicks refused to be chased out and my biggest fear was that the boat would end up squashing them as Ian opened the paddles. Last resort was for me to try and net them. Meanwhile, watching all this was two onlookers trying to give me some helpful advice. I grabbed my landing net and eventually managed  to capture both  chicks. As the couple were already on the lockside I passed the net up to them. Sure enough they got hold of the chicks, but instead of looking to see where the Moorhen mum was, they released them back into the bottom pound.......... and mum was at the top!!! There was nothing more for me to do except get Ian to raise the paddles to bring the boat up and then for me to try to recapture them in the bottom pound. But unfortunately I was to late. They were well away from the bank and I hadn't a hope in hell of getting my net any where near them again. I just hope mum hears their call and goes looking for them..

 We continued on to do the next lock then decided enough was enough and got moored. Ian then got his small palm sander out and sanded down the paintwork on the gunwales. He had planned to do this job before setting off this morning, but  the person on the boat behind us, didn't appear at all  friendly last night as we stopped and came into moor,  pulling our boat back towards him. I think he felt we were invading his space, but we dont like leaving gaps! Ian had visions, this morning, of him having a go when he started sanding, so, instead, waited until we stopped this afternoon. As the weather remained dry he then put the first coat of black gloss on to cover the red spotted primer he put on earlier. I went and dangled a maggot and had a great afternoon's fishing.............and as for the title of this post? The picture tells it all.

No comments:

Blog Archive