About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday, 28 April 2012

A very wet Campbell Park

What a fabulous place to moor for a few days.Shame it's so wet but that doesn't distract from the beauty of the place. It's 48 hour stay on the park side but 14 day on the towpath side. The walks around here are brilliant. The one down side! No dogie do bins! I did manage to find one after walking around for a bit, but that was in a camping and caravan site and not out on the public footpaths. Still its no hardship to bag it all up and leave on the roof of the boat until such time as we find a bin. I can forgive this place anything its so lovely.

Not sure what this is suppose to portray!

Last night we had a visit by one of our boating neighbours. The fact that it was 10.30pm made both of us wonder if we were going to be visited by another con man. It turned out that the guy in the very small cruiser wanted his phone charged as he had no power on his boat, He even offered us food to help him out of which we declined saying we had no problem charging the phone so long as he could leave it with us over night.. This morning he appeared when Ian stuck his head out from under the cratch cover and gave Ian a box of Asda tea bags for his trouble. The guys been drifting ,as he calls it, for 10 months starting out in Oxford and going where the wind takes him.  He's one of those guys that looks unkempt and one usually would avoid but chatting to him we found him to be a very interesting and intelligent person. Why he ended up 'down and out' is his own business but he appeared to be very happy with his lot, and with a lovely GSD cross collie for a companion, he says he wants for nothing, other then a bit of power now and then.

Ian has departed  to collect the car. Our son Colin turned up early to give him a lift back. It saves Ian all that hassle of finding a bus to Milton Keynes centre, then the coach to Nottingham and from there another bus to Sandiacre. It usually takes 4 or 5 hours just to get to the car and then with another hour and half back he could be gone most of the day. Once he's back we can shop and stop of at Colin's to see the grandchildren and also to see if anymore work has been done round the house. I rather think not, and that now that 'Dad' is back no doubt Ian will get roped into doing the work instead.

No comments:

Blog Archive