About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday, 22 March 2012

T'was a longish day

I don't remember this mooring by bridge 55 north of Polegate, being as noisy as this. We have always liked it for its remoteness. Must have been the wind blowing in our direction because the roar from the M42 and the trains every 10 minutes woke me up very early. In a way it was advantages, as I took Jade out very early. The mist rising from the valley, canal and stillness of the water made for some lovely photo's. 

Mist rising from the valley below.
 Before pulling pins and while Ian was storing our aerial away, I gave the side of the boat a quick wash.  Both side have been done for the time being so we just need to get the polish out. That can wait until we are back in Sandiacre. Once on the move we made steady progress. I have noticed a lot more boats moored up which makes for very slow going in places. Lack of water under us was also a problem. Not that there isn't enough in the canal but dredging on the Coventry is badly needed. At Amington this pair of Mandarin ducks looked almost out of place amongst the resident ducks.

Mandarin ducks. Photo is slightly out of focus. Only saw them at the last moment.
 The locks at Glascote were very busy. Unfortunately all the boats were heading our way, and what with several lone boaters, it took quite a while to get through. Then after a mile I picked up something nasty when I cruised under a bridge. The tiller was trying to shake itself loose and to steer was nigh on impossible. First thing we did was pull over, and while I held the rope, Ian took the trusty boat hook and poked and prodded around the prop. Nothing was found so we presumed whatever I had picked up must have floated off when I stopped.

By now time was getting on and making Fradley seemed fairly remote. We followed a boat at a painfully slow speed for mile upon mile and breathed a sigh of relieve when he eventually moored up to let his dog out. Now finally we could get a move on. Moving fast isn't always a good thing. The times I have seen something I wanted to photograph and I've already gone past. Like the Muntjac at Old Oaks Wood. This happened today with my Buzzard and Stoat. I did manage to grab the camera and take a snap but the focus isn't great.



I confess I took this picture from the Internet because my photo was blurred.

See what I mean!!!

We did make it to Fradley and again we followed several boats down the locks. One pulled out by the facilities just as we were coming along. Ian told him he was out of order by pulling out in front of an oncoming boat. His reply. Tough. I was ready to go so why should I wait!! Needless to say Ian 'didn't' help him through the lock! It was later then normal when we finally moored up but we have made it to another of our favoured moorings, below Common Lock. Tomorrow, first thing, we aim to go shopping in Alrewas and  especially the butchers. His sausages are second to none! Me thinks sausage egg and chips will be on the menu for dinner tomorrow night.

1 comment:

Alf said...

"pulling out in front of an oncoming boat."
Bet he drives his car like that !!!

Blog Archive