About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 5 February 2012

Winter wonderland

The forecasted snow arrived yesterday afternoon. Small insignificant flakes. Very disappointing!!!! Where was the proper stuff that should give us copious amounts and make everything look wonderful? I needn't have worried because by the time I took Jade out for her last walk at 10pm there was already 2-3 inches lying on the towpath and the boat.



I couldn't wait for morning when I could get out with my camera and take some stunning photo's. Sure enough at first light I was awake and ready with Jade to see what was out there. Loads and loads of lovely snow. At least 5 inches but, oh no!!! a thick mist surrounded everything making my efforts at trying to take brilliant photograph's a no go!!! I was so disappointed. Still as I had my camera I thought I might as well try to make the best of a bad job.


This is the long sweeping left hand bend where we got stuck on Thursday.






A misty lock. You would have though that Jade would show up really well. Instead she looks like a black cardboard cut out.


Blackbird managing to get a drink




These young bullocks struggled to find somewhere to have a drink.



Until this one found a small spot of unfrozen water.

With no sign of the mist lifting,  I made my way back to the boat. No sooner had I returned then the sun made an appearance. Typical!!! I quickly took these last few photo's while I had the chance and before the mist came down again.







The temperature has risen causing a slow thaw. We had hoped to leave here tomorrow but even with the ice starting to melt it is much to thick to even attempt to go. Ian managed to break through by banging the ice with the boat pole just to see how thick it was. I was amazed to see it was a good 3 inches!!! It could be another week before we are once again free to travel to Milton Keynes and that is only if the thaw continues

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Black dogs are so hard to photograph especially against white snow!

Hope the ice clears off soon - we're not sure whether Indigo Dream is is iced in - we have big cruising plans for the weekend!

Sue, nb Indigo Dream

Jo Lodge said...

Those photographs are truly amazing, great for Christmas cards. Stay safe xxxxxx

Blog Archive