About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 21 January 2012

Trip to the Lake District


We had a great journey up to Cumbria without any sort of drama  No hold ups , no burst tyres and no engine faults and the journey from Trent Lock to Keswick took us just over 3 hours. Weather was a bit iffy in places with spray being the main problem but once we got to Thirlwell viaduct the sun came out, mist lifted and we were greeted by some of the most spectacular views to be seen from the M6.
 


Scales Farm Guest House.
Ian's brother, Alan and sister-in law Angela, owns a guest house that is situated just off the A66 between Keswick and Threkald. There were no guest so, as no rooms had been let for that week we were able to have room 3 on the ground floor ( they have 6 in total ) which is ideal for owners with dogs as well as great for the disabled, as the front door leads straight to the outside car park. Very handy for taking Jade for her walk first thing. After getting settled in, out came my banana cake which went down very well with a cup of tea and then after a bit of a natter we all decided to take the dogs  Josh, Alan's Flat coat, and Jade for a walk. As the guest house has easy access to the fells, we all set off for what I thought would be a nice amble across the valley. Now unless you are one of those hardy people that walk for miles up and down dale you will realise that us boaters do most of their walking on the level.  We started off on the straight but soon the ground steeped sharply downward and then upward, and then downward again and then upward ( you get the picture )and by now my calf muscles were crying out for mercy. After several miles I was never more thankful to see Scales Farm come back into sight. Then Alan told us that 'tomorrow would be a good day to walk round Buttermere Lake'. Groan!!!! Maybe the weather would turn bad, I thought, and we wouldn't be able to go walking after all. Sightseeing by car would be good. Ian told me not to be such a wimp and the exercise is just what the Doctor ordered.  Its okay for him to say that. He hasn't had my leg problems to contend with!!!!
View from the back of the guest house. The Llamas belong to their neighbour and are useful in keeping the grass short.
So next morning dawned bright and sunny ( dam!! ) and there was absolutely no excuse not to do the walk around the lake. Alan assured me that it was very easy going and it was only 4.5 miles round the perimeter. Eek!!!

Buttermere Lake

Jade and Josh


Josh
 Well I needn't have worried after all. I thoroughly enjoyed the walk  It wasn't all on the flat. There were loads of stone obstacles and tree roots to manoeuvre round but my muscles seemed to behave themselves with only the occasional twinge to remind me of my over exertion the day before. Jade loved it. Thought she was in dogie heaven and having Alan's dog Josh to play with made her happier then we have seen since Judy died.
Angela, Alan and Ian

One of the many trees that came down in the December storms


The two brothers striding out.
 


View from Honiton Pass.
It took us about 2 hours to complete the circuit and, as there was a lovely cafe by the car park, we all felt we deserved to have a sit down and a welcoming serving of hot Leek and Potato soup with a roll, It was only when I went to get up that I suddenly realised my legs wouldn't work properly. In fact if you can imagine a penguin's waddle that was all I could do. Both calves had cramped up and I had to be helped back into the car. How embarrassing!!! That night we went out for a meal at the WHITE HORSE PUB. The added bonus was that it is right next door to the guest house so no driving involved. Thankfully it wasn't far to walk so my aching muscles only had to support me for a short while. The meal was excellent and very good value for money.  Yesterday morning we awoke to find that snow had fallen on top of the far hills. Thankfully it was only raining by us even though we appeared to be on the same level as the snow line. So our journey home was a very wet and dismal affair. No views to admire this time as all the hills and mountains were shrouded in mist. It took us a lot longer to return to the boat but thankfully it was only due to heavy rain and spray and not to any major holdups. The boat was freezing but what with the diesel heater and the log fire we soon had a pleasant glow about us.
 As I'm writing this back at the boat I can still only waddle about. I really need to do more exercise and am seriously considering using our internal steps and doing as many ' step ups' as possible!!!!
I have posted more  pictures on my other blog. Jameison Afloat2


View from our bedroom window Friday morning. Stunning!


1 comment:

Jo Lodge said...

Wow beautiful photographs. I do love that part of the country.
With back problems, keeping on the move is a good thing, but of course you have to be sure your not over doing it, so it is a catch 22 situation. I sincerely hope you improve, especially with the boating season coming up. Jade looked like she had a fantastic time.
Hugsssss Jo xx

Blog Archive