About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Banana Cake

I said yesterday that I was at a loss as to what to do today. As we are heading up to the Lake District tomorrow to see Ian's brother I decided that I would bake a cake to take up with me. Ian was a bit miffed that I wasn't going to make one for us, so to keep him happy I made a double batch. This is a very yummy cake and a must if you have any bananas that have 'gone soft' so here is my receipt:-

  1.  2 large or 3 small bananas
  2. 8oz Self Raising Flour ( Plain will do but add 3 tsp of Baking Pdr to the flour )
  3. 6oz sugar ( I use granulated )
  4. 4oz soft marg or butter
  5. 2 med to large eggs
  6. a good handful of mixed fruit
  7. 2Lb loaf tin greased and lined
Light oven gas 4
Mash Bananas until it resembles a yellow mush
Cream marg and sugar
Add eggs a small amount at a time. I add a tablespoon of the flour each time to stop mix from curdling.
Add the mashed bananas and mixed fruit.
Fold in the flour
Pour into the greased and lined 2Lb loaf tin
Place in oven for about 20 mins then turn down gas to mark 2 for a further 30 - 40 mins. Pierce cake with a skewer at the end of the cooking time. When it comes out clean its done. As the oven temperature can vary  from boat to boat, keep checking until cake is cooked.
While the cakes were cooking I took Jade out for her walk. We headed off to Sawley and found a load of BW's Pans tied up ready, no doubt, to be utilised where needed. Not a sign of any boat movement even though the ice was very thin above the lock. It's just to cold to travel.


On our way back a buzzard landed on the post nearby. Just as I took the photo, by sheer fluke, a gull put in an appearance so I got a 2- 4- 1 picture. Bonus!!



A small teaser. Can you see what's in the picture?
I arrived back at the boat just in time to remove the cakes from the oven. Good job too as I'm sure giving burnt offerings to Alan and Angela would not have gone down well! The rest of the afternoon I cleaned and packed for our 3 day visit away. Took Jade out again just after 4.15pm and luckily my camera was in my pocket because I don't think I have ever seen the sun as red as this.
Spectacular!
 
So no more blogging for a few days. I hope to have some good photos to show when we return on Saturday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A heron?
Sue

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Sue,

Thats right. I started to creep up on it to try and get a decent photo but a man on his bike appeared just at the wrong moment!

Irene

Blog Archive