About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 3 August 2011

Our last BBQ with the BIFs, and yes we did leave Burton.

Another hot and sticky night last night so I was up by 6 am trying to cool off. The first boat went through quite early this morning and I assumed many more would follow, all leaving the site, but it was not to be. I don't think the wrgies will leave until Friday as there is still bits to do dismantling the site. There was boat movement but in steady dribs and drabs. Ian set of for Lidl  to get our last minute shopping while I attempted to wash the side of the boat. The steel was that hot that the water evaporated faster then  I could leather it off so I gave up as a bad job. It will have to wait for a cooler day. As soon as Ian returned we set off for Willington to water up and empty loo with the knowledge that the other two BIFs would catch us up later.

BIFs stand for Bracken,Icing & Free Spirit. We travelled together in 2008 when we went to Lancaster. Dave & Heather ( Nb Bracken ) and Dennis & Margaret ( Nb Icing ) are leaving to explore the Soar whereas we are taking our boat in Mercia Marina for a couple of weeks. We are again heading off to Eastbourne to look after my Dad. So tonight is our last BBQ with our cruising pals  for a while.

Heather by the BBQ, Dennis on 'Icing' and Ian on the back of our boat with Jade. Judy is in the foreground.


From L to R:- Dennis, Dave, Ian and on 'Icing', Margaret and Heather.
 While I was preparing our salads I kept hearing this constant cheep cheep sound. It wasn't something I was familiar with, so armed with camera I headed into the bushes to find out what it was.

I'm pretty sure its a |Bull Finch. No doubt someone will tell me if I'm wrong.

Another update with our friendly con man. As we will have our car this weekend we have finally arranged for the identity parade this Saturday at 12pm at Kidderminster. So now all we have to do is try and remember what he looked like!!!!!! It has been over 5 weeks since the incident after all!

No comments:

Blog Archive