About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 22 June 2011

A weird experiance in a loo

Try to imagine the worse thing that could happen when sat on a toilet. I don't mean running out of loo paper. Oh no. Much worse then that. Let me set the scene. We arrived at the facilities by Kinver lock on the Staffs and Worcs, moored up, ran out our hose and started to fill with water. I took the rubbish while Ian got out our cassette. I decided that I might as well use the facilities toilet so asked Ian to unlock the door. As I was sitting minding my own business, I suddenly heard this awful gurgling sound. It took only a moments hesitation before I sprang up to see the toilet bowl filling up which can only be described as effluent. The thought of what would have happened if I hadn't reacted as quickly as I did doesn't bare thinking about. It almost reached the rim before very slowly disappearing. Next thing I know the same thing happened again but this time with much cleaner water.I left the  loo rather rapidly and I met Ian coming out of the elsan block. After both of us had a good laugh we deduced that there must be a blockage in one of the pipes leading to the septic tank and with Ian emptying our loo and then rinsing the cassette, it had to go somewhere and the toilet I sat on was the only means of escape. The moral to this tale is to go first and empty later!!!!.

This was taken at Hyde lock, the lock before Kinver. It's lovely to see horses on the towpath again.

No comments:

Blog Archive