About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 24 June 2011

Another 4 miles travelled. 16 miles left to go.

We were ready to leave this morning, fenders put away, pins pulled and  I was about to set the lock, when I realised our satellite dish was still attached to our broom handle on the roof. So while I held the boat Ian proceeded to take it down and stow it away when,  would you credit it, not one but two boats came along and delayed our departure. I was convinced that now it would be impossible to get a mooring at Sainsbury, having been told yesterday that there were wall to wall boats and not a single mooring vacant. Arriving  in Kidderminster I was very surprised that the moorings were free In fact there was only one other boat and they left not long after we turned up. Then nb Windsong came along and moored directly behind us. I knew they were heading our way as reading their blog gave me a feeling of deja vu and I did hope they would catch us up and that we would finally meet. Unfortunatly I didnt see them arrive so it wasnt until I poked my head out the back hatch that I found out they had arrived. No sign of life on board so they must have gone shopping. I would have to catch them when they returned. I very nearly missed meeting Pip and Roger because they returned without me realising.  Ian spotted Pip walking toward the lock with her windlass, so I dashed out and introduced myself to Roger. They too are going to Stourport Basin and we thought we might see them  there, but because we can take our time going to Droitwich I think we may as well stay put on these moorings until Sunday. We have moored somewhere between Oldington Bridge and Bullocks Lane Bridge on a very rural spot. I would be very surprised if we had any "youths" problems here. ( Do you think Ive gone a bit paranoid? Ian thinks so!!) I have placed a few photo's of our journey from leaving Wolverley Court lock to our moorings here.
St Mary's & All Saints. The largest parish church in Kidderminster.


Wharf Crane  overlooking the moorings near Sainsbury.

The red sandstone by Caldwell lock


and looking from the opposite direction.


Pratts Wharf.  Not much to see but there is supposed to be the remains of a lock that once joined the canal to the River Stour



Very rural and very very wet!
It's now pouring down. Andy Murray is playing on center court and dogs have been out to do tiddles so now it's time to settle down with a glass of red wine and hope that Murray gets through to the next round. Weather forecaster's reckons this will continue all night. That's how I like it, dry in the day and wet at night.

1 comment:

Jo Lodge said...

Sounds like your making steady progress. I would be very surprised if you had any issues with youth's, but one can never tell can one hahaha.
We are at Tibberton and it is very shallow here, we are more than a foot away from the bank and at a very jaunty angle, with the water level going up and down.
Hopefully we will see you at Droitwich if all goes well with the boats going up to day and back tomorrow. Otherwise we will have to turn around and go back the other way arghhhhhhh. Happy cruising Jo x

Blog Archive