About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 21 March 2011

Waterfall at Rodbaston Lock!!!!!

A very noisy evening yesterday. We had settled down to watch Eggheads when I suddenly became aware of a generator. As we couldn't see another boat Ian assumed it was from the farm. Now if you're like me once a noise gets inside your head that's all you can hear. After about 20 minutes I decided to have a walk to see if I could locate the sound. Well would you believe it . Round the first bend was a moored boat with his generator perched on his roof. The sound was horrendous so as soon as I got back to the boat I informed Ian that we were moving! He looked at me gone out but even he had got fed up with the noise. We only had to move a few hundred yards for peace to descend once again.
Next morning after we had used the facilities at Gailey another boater informed us that the lock by the M6 motorway had a slight problem with leakage from the top gate. Slight problem!!! What an understatement!!! In fact BW were already there and having seen us coming filled the lock ready for our use. He then informed Ian to lift the bottom paddle very slowly and for me to bring the boat as far forward as possible. It wasn't long before I realised why. Being down so far in the lock with all that water cascading at the back of me was frightening to say the least. I had visions of the gate giving way and me being deluged in a mountain of water. As I'm still here to tell the tale it of course didn't happen but I feel sorry for all those other boaters who wont have BW there to help them. Me thinks a stoppage will be on the cards in the near future.
Excitement over we continued our journey towards Great Haywood. Then who should we meet but Bruce and Shelia on Sanity Again. They were moored by Deptmore Lock enjoying the  lovely Spring sunshine. After exchanging pleasantries they helped us lock down with the promise of seeing each other again at the IWA festival in Burton.
We have moored above Tixall Lock and will continue to Hayward tomorrow where a visit to the farm shop is in order to stock up with veggys.






No comments:

Blog Archive