About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 8 February 2011

What type of duck is this?



At the moment we are moored at Stone again. Had an excursion back to Gt Hayward to diesel up at Hayward Marina ( 81p a litre and cheapest we have seen on this stretch of canal) which took several days. We don't believe in rushing about so a few miles a day is sufficient. Got back here above Stone locks and as I was fishing again ( caught 2 good size bream) this bird appeared. Now I am assuming it is some sort of duck but if any one has any ideas as to what it is I would be grateful if you would let me know.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Sue said...

It looks similar to a female mandarin duck, but it has more white about it's face.

This could be a mandarin cross duck

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks Sue. I did agree with you until Jo nb Hadar identified it as an American Wood Duck. Apparently there used to be 3 females here in Stone so I wonder what happened to the other 2?

Blog Archive